We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive (but central) place to stay in Antigua

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southbridge...
8 posts
Inexpensive (but central) place to stay in Antigua

We are a family of four looking for a reasonable and central place to stay in Antigua for two or three nights before flying home out of Guatemala - any recommendation. We are really looking for a family room. Thank you in advance!

Vieques
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Inexpensive (but central) place to stay in Antigua

We stayed at the Hotel Aurora, which had a super location only 3-4 minute walk to the plaza. dizens of restaurants and the chocolate musem rigt next doir.There were several families stying while we were there. I could see 3 beds in some of the rooms. It was well under $100 per night and was very charming with pretty gardens.We felt very safe and threr is always someone at the front desk

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
620 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Inexpensive (but central) place to stay in Antigua

We liked Hotel Casa Cristina. Close to La Merced, secure, quiet - at least when we there - and nicely decorated. The rooftop terrace was a bonus. Rates were quite good; about $35 t0 $40 for a double, as I recall. Rooms on the top floor were a bit more, and worth it. We were just a couple, but we asked and have some larger rooms that would work for four. Be sure to ask them; they're willing to move beds around.

Edited: 12:30 pm, June 28, 2013
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
9,089 posts
214 reviews
3. Re: Inexpensive (but central) place to stay in Antigua

Casa Cristina is my favorite hotel in Antigua - love the owners and location, double rooms start at $30. Their rooms aren't very big but it's a great value and worth looking into.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Inexpensive (but central) place to stay in Antigua

If you're looking for real budget, eg backpackers' prices then go for Black Cat who have 2 locations in Antigua.

Also try this hostal and this link: antiguahotelsolutions.com/… they have a broad range of good hotels for all budget!!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
66 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Inexpensive (but central) place to stay in Antigua

I just finished writing my review of Taanah Guest House when I saw your post. Taanah is absolutely terrific as a BnB it provides a great way for kids and adults to get a little bit of interaction with super nice regular Guatemalan folks.

It may not meet your central location objective, it's on the north central part of town but the people make it totally worth the walk. Remember Antigua is only about ~ 9x9 blocks square so everything is pretty close. Taanah is in a super safe, super quite area 4 minutes to La Merced, 6 to the park non of the noise that goes with a central location.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
56 posts
117 reviews
6. Re: Inexpensive (but central) place to stay in Antigua

If you are looking for the $30 range then Casa Cristina is clean but very basic. We stayed at D'Leyunda for about $70 and it was beautiful and included breakfast on the rooftop terrace. We found it difficult to find something at $50 so we broke it up between the two. Good luck!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
7. Re: Inexpensive (but central) place to stay in Antigua

I can't recommend the Black Cat to a family with children. Besides the on going bedbug problem there are other issues. You are getting suggestions across a price range because you don't want to state your budget. In dollars, not adjectives. As to central.. most of the tourist areas are within a 3 or 4 block radius of the central park. You want something that is easy to reach and safe to do so at all hours. Almost all are. Again...budget? Happy trailmix. Beware of touts with links.

Edited: 2:38 pm, September 11, 2013
Auckland Region...
6 posts
8. Re: Inexpensive (but central) place to stay in Antigua

Thanks for the info on the hotel - we will try to get a reservation.

Auckland Region...
6 posts
9. Re: Inexpensive (but central) place to stay in Antigua

Thanks for the information on the hotel - we will try to get a reservation for Casa Cristina

Kirksville, Missouri
Level Contributor
19 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Inexpensive (but central) place to stay in Antigua

I stayed at La Sin Ventura, right off Parque Central. It cost me $18/night with a private bath. They also have larger rooms. There is no social life connected to the place, and it is above a busy bar. The activity/noise kept it from feeling creepy, being alone, but if your family needs silence to sleep, this is not the place for you.