We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone stayed at Antigua efficiencies?

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Thomas
reviews: 4
Has anyone stayed at Antigua efficiencies?

I am looking for a place to rent in Antigua near the central park area that is both reasonably priced and safe. I have been reading that it may be difficult. I found what seems like a perfect place, Antigua-efficiencies. They have a web site, are near the cathedral, are cheap and appear lovely. My concern is that I can find no reviews from anyone who has actually stayed there, which seems unusual. I would like to hear from anyone who has more information about this place, and also welcome any other recommendations. Thanks a lot.

17 replies to this topic
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
11. Re: Has anyone stayed at Antigua efficiencies?

Thanks for posting, Jimmy - nice to hear from someone who is actually there.

Rehoboth Beach...
reviews: 1
12. Re: Has anyone stayed at Antigua efficiencies?

I second the recommendation for Antigua Efficiencies. I spent 2 months there over Lent and found them perfect in terms of cost and location. The owners, Rony and his mother are wonderful people and make great landlords.

I stayed in the largest unit, which is the only one with a separate bedroom and can say that it was almost perfect. I say almost for this reason: The apartment is the only one with a private entrance (bonus) but is directly across the street from a cantina. This was not much of a problem for me since I was usually up and out of the apartment early and stayed out most of the day, but the few times I decided to take an afternoon nap, I found it almost impossible due to the noise from the cantina. On the bright side, they were usually closed by 6 or 7 in the evening and never interfered with my sleep. I really think if you are in a wonderful place like Antigua, you shouldn't be hanging out much in your apartment anyway.

So, I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the place, but just wanted to warn potential renters of the larger apartment what to expect. I know that certain people could be very upset to discover this after arriving. I just tried to think of it as quirky and charming.

Antigua, Guatemala
13. Re: Has anyone stayed at Antigua efficiencies?

I'm staying here now and it's great. I wouldn't recommend walking home at night but there are plenty of taxis at the Parque Central that charge about 25Q for a ride home. Like Jimmy said, it is very secure and quiet. Secure wi-fi connection is available as well.

It's about a 10 min walk to the Antigua gym, Bodegona (supermarket), the outdoor market and the park.

reviews: 2
14. Re: Has anyone stayed at Antigua efficiencies?

I lived in a place for Q1200/month laundry was included. Drawback for u is the location. It's about a 15 min walk from the town square.

reviews: 4
15. Re: Has anyone stayed at Antigua efficiencies?

Hi Jimmy

We are in Antigua now and will try to see the apartments soon. I did not see a fridge in the pictures. Is there one included or can you rent one? Thanks for your help! Joanne

reviews: 58
16. Re: Has anyone stayed at Antigua efficiencies?

Hola! Can you tell me if the water is hot? Very important in Antigua! Gracias!

Rehoboth Beach...
reviews: 1
17. Re: Has anyone stayed at Antigua efficiencies?

I can confirm that the shower water was generally, nicely hot. There was no hot water whatsoever in my kitchen sink.

Reply to: Has anyone stayed at Antigua efficiencies?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted