We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving on a Sunday - questions about currency and food

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Park City, Utah
reviews: 148
Arriving on a Sunday - questions about currency and food

I am arriving in Antigua on a Sunday afternoon and was wondering whether it will be possible to exchange currency anywhere, or if banks and such will be closed. Also, are most restaurants open on Sundays? Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 95
1. Re: Arriving on a Sunday - questions about currency and food

Banks no, restaurants yes. Happy trails!

Milwaukee, Wi
reviews: 152
2. Re: Arriving on a Sunday - questions about currency and food

The banks are closed on Sunday but the ATM's will be available. Most of the restaurants in Antigua will be open. This is a tourist friendly town with lots of deals just for you today :). There are also lots of church's.

Park City, Utah
reviews: 148
3. Re: Arriving on a Sunday - questions about currency and food

Thanks guys! I thought ATMs weren't recommended because some steal your card info. Is there a place in the airport to exchange currency on a Sunday, or should I order a little bit before I go on my trip to get me through that first day?

Milwaukee, Wi
reviews: 152
4. Re: Arriving on a Sunday - questions about currency and food

There is an ATM in the airport but it wasn't working a couple weeks ago and was hiding by the stairs behind a big currency exchange counter in the departure portion of the airport. You may want to get a minimum amount of Q's at that exchange if it is necessary. When we arrived a few weeks ago, we had no Q's and got a few there but found an ATM in a safe hotel / bank type area. At least enought to get to Antigua. In safe areas ATM's are almost always fine. I have never had an issue. If you are taking a cab to Antigua, you can get Q's at the hotel, just tell the cab to wait or if Spanish is an issue, tell the door man to tell the cab driver to wait. I had the same issue and it was not a problem. If you are taking a bus, pay ahead with a credit card. Check with your hotel about the ATM to be safe. We stayed at the Porta Hotel and the ATM was fine.

Dexter, Michigan
reviews: 1
5. Re: Arriving on a Sunday - questions about currency and food

You can pay for your taxi or shuttle with dollars. The airport exchange seems to fluctuate. They aren't noted for great service as they have a monopoly. As said, banks are closed but there are ATMs. Only problem is that some ATMs run out due to the influx of Guates from GC. But all but the lowest end hotels can usually change a few dollars for you. Same goes for restaurants.. in a pinch you can pay dollars. They know the cash situation on Sunday.

6. Re: Arriving on a Sunday - questions about currency and food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:06 pm, May 05, 2013
Edited: 5:06 pm, May 05, 2013
7. Re: Arriving on a Sunday - questions about currency and food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 07, 2014