We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Antigua

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
reviews: 71
4 days in Antigua

Do you have any itinerary advice?

Vancouver Island...
reviews: 34
1. Re: 4 days in Antigua

Pacaya volcano hike is definitely worth a half-day. Check the reviews. It's an eerie, beautiful landscape, and lots of tours offered.

Finca El PIlar is about two kms outside town and offers a beautiful hike through the forest, if you like nature. There is an admission.

Mostly, Antigua is a great place to wander. Beautiful buildings everywhere, lovely half-ruined churches, a large and interesting market.

I'd recommend a meal at Hector's, a great restaurant.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
2. Re: 4 days in Antigua

Um, what are your interests?

--History? Take a tour with Elizabeth Bell. Visit all the museums at Casa Santo Domingo. I love the museum of antiguities and modern glass there.

--Ruins? Visit Convento Las Capuchinas.

--Coffee? Go to Finca Filadelfia or La Azotea Cultural Center

--Food? Visit the Chocomuseo. Take a cooking class at Don Quijote's cruisers, La Mesa, or El Frijol Feliz. Eat Sunday brunch at Casa Santo Domingo. Tour the mercado on a Monday, Thursday, or Saturday.

--Cultural/Textiles? Visit La Azotea Cultural Center, Museo del Tejido, or Nim P'ot, or visit San Antonio Aguas Calientes to see women weaving on the backstrap looms in action.

--Sustainable eco-projects? Visit Valhalla Macadamia farm, Earth lodge, Caoba Organic Farms, or MayaPedal in one of the villages around Antigua.

--Hiking/biking? Go on a volcano trip. Go on a mountain bike tour around the Antigua area with OX or Old Town Outfitters.

Miami, Florida
3. Re: 4 days in Antigua

Thanks a lot for the info

Edited: 6:39 pm, March 30, 2013
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
4. Re: 4 days in Antigua

Links to 2 of my favorite recent tours in Antigua:

http://donquijotecruisers.com/ - fat tire bike tours around Antigua, neighboring villages, and cooking classes

http://www.chocomuseo.com/ - chocolate history and baking class

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails! flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Freehold, New Jersey
reviews: 2
5. Re: 4 days in Antigua

I was there for only a day, but I loved the jade museum. Are you going anywhere else in Guatemala? If not, maybe a trip to Iximche or Panajachel.

Miami, Florida
6. Re: 4 days in Antigua

I will be in Antigua 4 days and Panajachel 3 days.

Hopefulist i love all your pictures

Edited: 2:17 pm, April 01, 2013
Belfast, Northern...
reviews: 34
7. Re: 4 days in Antigua

I second the choco museo - a workshop on making chocolate and you get to eat the results :0) there are also a few cookery schools to choose from - you could zip line or hike with a variety of providers (check the reviews on boards for La Antigua) Elizabeth Bell tours get varied feedback - we were disappointed, read up and decide for yourself. The Market near the bus station is worth wandering through (go right in through every small passage way and explore). Most of all, relax and soak it all in :0)

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
8. Re: 4 days in Antigua

Thanks! A new Guatemala collection will crop up in the next week or 2. :-)

Freehold, New Jersey
reviews: 2
9. Re: 4 days in Antigua

I see you are already going to Panajachel. I will be in Antigua for 6 weeks this summer and definitely will do Choco Museo and a cooking class. I chose to go with El Frijol Feliz based on their reviews on this site. I will also do a walking tour and hopefully a coffee tour. I obviously can't give my opinions on these since I haven't gone yet, but these are the things I am planning as must do. Are you seeing any ruins? I will absolutely see Mayan ruins there, it's a very high priority for me.

Miami, Florida
10. Re: 4 days in Antigua

I wanted to see Tikal but money wise and time wise i wont be able to. :-/