We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antigua or San Jose, Costa Rica

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 76
Antigua or San Jose, Costa Rica

Hi TA experts. We are a couple in our early 50's and making our first trip to Mexico City in December 2013. We thought that after Mexico City we would visit another nearby country (the first and most likely only time in Central America). TA rates Antigua and San Jose very highly but how can I know which would be better for us? Here is what we are looking for: really cute streetscapes , town squares and markets with vivid colonial architecture, particularly old churches... nice hotels that reflect the local region (that is, not sterile spaces that they could be mistaken for being anywhere) and great views (the pictures I have seen of Antigua are very alluring). Beaches aren't important to us, but local colour and good places to eat, drink and relax are. Our intended stay will be 5 nights. Any suggestions and comments would be welcome.

reviews: 25
1. Re: Antigua or San Jose, Costa Rica

Hands down Antigua.It has everything that you are looking for. San Jose is one of the places that I have been to that I liked the least in all my travels. Costa Rica has a lot to offer but none of which that you are looking for.

Ct
reviews: 1
2. Re: Antigua or San Jose, Costa Rica

Another vote for Antigua! Wonderful colonial city, compact and walkable. Warm engaging people! If you are going the week before Easter make your reservations early.

Vernon, Canada
reviews: 86
3. Re: Antigua or San Jose, Costa Rica

I agree with the above. I have been to San Jose, although it was a few years ago. Nothing memorable about that city at all. Most of Costa Ricas best sites and adventures are elsewhere in the country..

We just got back from Guatemala last week. We passed through Antigua three times during our journey, staying a total of six days.. It would be easy to spend five days there and environs and not get bored. It definately has all the things you are looking for and in a compact area. Have a good trip

Guatemala City...
reviews: 26
4. Re: Antigua or San Jose, Costa Rica

Antigua is amazing! Without any doubt you will be want to return in the future. I live in Guatemala City, and Antigua is one of my favorite places in the world. Here you will find a lot of activities to do. Great colonial hotels, great restaurants, the views are breathtaking and from here there are shuttles if you want to take a one day trip to Lake Atitlán. Feel free if you want to contact me if you need help.

california
reviews: 19
5. Re: Antigua or San Jose, Costa Rica

It has been some time since we were in San Jose and we will not go back, nothing there. Other areas of Costa Rica are interesting but do not fit your discription of wants. We are currently in Antigua for a total of 3 months.This is not our first visit and hopefully not our last. Many things to do, good places to eat, places for shopping, nearby areas to explore. And, maybe the best, friendly people. I vote with all the other responses.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 99
6. Re: Antigua or San Jose, Costa Rica

Antigua!!! Beautiful, unique, charming small city with amazing restaurants. Lots to do. And cheap! Did CR for two weeks and did not see San Jose - my research showed that it is like Guatemala City: a large smoggy city that can be skipped. Don't miss Antigua!

7. Re: Antigua or San Jose, Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 26, 2014