We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to pay from the US for Skype Spanish lessons?

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
How to pay from the US for Skype Spanish lessons?

We are currently in Antigua, GT taking private Spanish lessons from our neighbor. We think we'd like to continue but are wondering what's the cheapest/best way to pay once we go home to the US?

reviews: 24
1. Re: How to pay from the US for Skype Spanish lessons?

I would say Paypal would be the cheapest and probably the safest way to send money for payment. How do you like Antigua?

New Jersey
2. Re: How to pay from the US for Skype Spanish lessons?

Well I found out from the teacher that Paypal doesn't work here. XOOM.com looks promising, but it turns out that our home bank, BoA, should work fine. Just need to find out their exchange rate, but we think there aren't fees as long as the teacher has a bank account.

How do we like Antigua? We like it a lot, but wish we came in the dry season so our activities wouldn't be determined by the weather so often. It's fine to go out walking in the rain or with our umbrellas, but some days like today, we waited for the torrential downpour to stop before heading to the Center of town. It stopped and then started again so we didn't get out until late. We were too lazy this morning to get out before it rained, but I knew it was coming.

We have had a few pool days (no rain at all) at the Hotel Antigua (Porta, but no one local recognizes that name).

Q70 per adult, Q45 per child per day

except Sundays Q250 Adult, Q150 child which includes the buffet. We checked out the pools at Hotel Soliel and Casa Santa Domingo before deciding Porta is the best and closest to us anyway.

So we have turned our day around, and have Spanish lessons in the evening or late afternoon if it's raining and the teacher is available. This works since it is one on one with each of my 3 kids, and we don't want to be out at night anyway. They had some Spanish before we came - a weekly group class, a DVD class La Clase Divertida, Pimsleur audio and finally I found Learning Spanish Like Crazy mp3s which I highly recommend, but it does go too fast for my 8 year old and he would just need to repeat more often than my other two children. I know enough Spanish to communicate, yet do not always know the correct word or verb conjugation so I may take some lessons too.

The hardest part for me is getting to know people that we are not paying for things since we are here for 6 weeks. So we talk to the maid, the security guard, the Apt. manager, the Spanish teacher, the people in the market and stores, but hard to find friends. We did meet some people at the Hotel Antigua while swimming each time. And the ladies at Hugo Ceviche (they close at 5:30 pm) are so friendly that one loaned us a few kid's books in Spanish.

We did go to a Scout Campfire Saturday night and the kids and leaders were quite welcoming. But we hope to get to Lake Atitlan and Monterrico on the weekends when my husband is not working, and the Scouts meet on Saturday afternoons, so we might miss the next few meetings.

I finally connected with an American living here for 7 years who I know about through an online forum, and she has a son my son's age, but she is busy the next two weeks with company from out of town so we have yet to meet in person.

Lake Atitlan
Destination Expert
for Lake Atitlan
reviews: 151
3. Re: How to pay from the US for Skype Spanish lessons?

I enjoyed reading your detailed information about your Antigua experiences. It sounds like you are getting used to the weather patterns. You just have to accept that you are going to encounter rain at some point each day.

I was particularly interested in your Scout Campfire experience. I would like to contact the Scout leader. Do you happen to have his contact information. I would like to invite the scout troop to Lake Atitlan for a camping experience.

Let me know if you need any assistance planning some activities for your family when you visit Lake Atitlan. I know lots of fun kid activities, and know some families with children you may want to meet. How old are your children??

This weekend, the local bicycle club is having a Full (Blue) moon bike ride at night. That would be fun for everyone. I think I am going, rain or not.

Oregon
4. Re: How to pay from the US for Skype Spanish lessons?

I too am interested in your scout experience. I have a young man, an Eagle Scout, who visited Antigua this last summer but it was difficult to find anyone or connect with any scouts...even though we knew where most meetings are held (7 Avenido I think...near Central Park)....He's going back to study spanish and scouts are VERY important to him. He can be found on ScoutFace. We live in Winston, OR

New Jersey
5. Re: How to pay from the US for Skype Spanish lessons?

There are 2 Scout Groups in/near Antigua.

One is Gran Robles and they meet on 4 Avenida Norte north of the park in a room off the old church (ruins) usually on Saturdays from 2 pm until 6 pm. Their meeting time varies though if they are camping or have other activities like the parade this Saturday or the Campfire night which included new initiations. They have a Facebook Group-https://www.facebook.com/granroble but it took a little while (couple of weeks) to get a reply.

The second group meets outside the Antigua border (from Guate). What I heard was Fridays at 2 pm in the Santa Ines Church, downstairs. We never made it to this group.

I'd rather not post the leader of Gran Robles info on this public forum without her permission, but if you send me a private message I will reply.

Edited: 4:00 am, September 14, 2012
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
6. Re: How to pay from the US for Skype Spanish lessons?

Oh - hello, Molly!! When is Z heading back??

queretaro
7. Re: How to pay from the US for Skype Spanish lessons?

Just to answer the initial question, and second what some of the people have already said, the easiest way is through Paypal.com. I work with http://www.livelingua.com and it is the most used payment method. That being said there are some limitation to it and in order to be able to send more than a certain amount you do need to add your bank account or credit card to it to be able to send more than $100 U.S. or so. Not hard, but just so you are aware of it.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
reviews: 137
8. Re: How to pay from the US for Skype Spanish lessons?

As far as I know, businesses in Guatemala have to have someone in the US set up Paypal for them; if they don't have a relationship with someone or bank accounts in the US they can't offer Paypal.

9. Re: How to pay from the US for Skype Spanish lessons?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, December 15, 2013