We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TAG Airlines to Flores

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reviews: 72
TAG Airlines to Flores

Hi. Has anybody ever flown on TAG Airlines from Guatemala City to Flores. We are going up and back the same day and flying this airline and wanted to hear your experiences. What type of plane do they use? Any info will be appreciated.

24 replies to this topic
Deerfield Beach...
reviews: 12
1. Re: TAG Airlines to Flores

Hi there...as far as I know this airline has a good safety record. The plane on the photo is the model they operate for their flights to Flores. That plane could be an Embraer model or Saab which are used by commuter airlines for short flights here in the US http://www.tag.com.gt/portal/es/

Parksville, B.C.
reviews: 29
2. Re: TAG Airlines to Flores

I took the trip last summer, although we spent the night at Tikal and came back the next day. The flights were interesting. We left from Antigua at some incredibly early time arranged by a travel agent and arrived before the TAG agent got there. We had a long delay due to fog, and on this leg experienced virtually no security. My recollection was that due to the number of travelers to Flores, there were two or maybe three planes leaving at the same time. This is the domestic terminal, of course, not the main one which is adjacent.

The plane was, I believe, an Embraer 110 which seats about 18 people. When we got to the plane, we were amused to receive a goodie bag, with chips and things. The flight out was otherwise uneventful.

The terminal in Flores is actually completely modern. In contrast to Guatemala City, however, security was absurdly tight, particularly for things like tweezers or nail clippers which were rounded up and remain there for all I know.

On the way back, the weather was much more interesting in such a small plane as we bounced from black cloud to black cloud. This was in July, of course, when I would expect the weather to be more active. No goodie bag this time. Although not the greatest air travel experience I've had, I wouldn't have any hesitation in doing it again.

If you can stay overnight, though, I would strongly recommend it. Not only does it decrease the travel fatigue, particularly if you're coming from Antigua, it lets you visit Tikal first thing in the morning when it is amazingly quiet. You could even climb one of the pyramids to watch the sunrise. Tikal is definitely worth more time if you can swing it.

Washington DC
reviews: 7
3. Re: TAG Airlines to Flores

We've done the early morning TAG flight from the capital to Flores a number of times with zero problems and zero delays. There are some incredible views as you cross over the Alta Verapaz, and as you get into the Peten you start seeing these odd formations in the land that look almost too regular to be natural but are most likely limestone formations. It's a fun short flight. As Hazley says the Flores airport is completely spartan and modern.

I also agree that staying overnight is the way to go. We like to stay in Flores and enjoy the lake. If you can take the extra time, take a bus back and enjoy the Rio Dulce area before returning to Guate/Antigua.

California Hot...
reviews: 2
4. Re: TAG Airlines to Flores

Hi,

we want to take the Tag airlines flight from Guatemala city to Flores on Dec 25th and back to Antigua on Dec 26th. I have been trying to make reservations online but unable to do so. Sent an email out to the contact email on their website. How do you book the flight?

Any recommendation of place to stay in Flores? We are a family with 2 kids and would like to see sunrise in Tikal the next morning so can't be very far.

New Haven
reviews: 42
5. Re: TAG Airlines to Flores

Hi, we just flew TAG after we were informed that TACA lost our reservation that we had made a few months ago.( we heard this was not uncommon with Taca) Everything went well. All on time and a pleasant experience. We got the tickets through a travel agency Martsam. I didn't try to do it individually.

Small propeller planes, kinda noisy but they did the job. Really was cute to have a box snack one of the ways.

We stayed two nights in Flores. Took an evening flight in. Saw Tikal the next day. Stayed one more night and saw Yahxta and Topoxte which were not as crowded and very interesting. Flew out the after that on an early evening flight.

Based on my experience, go with TAG.

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reviews: 72
6. Re: TAG Airlines to Flores

We also flew on Tag from Guatemala City to Flores and back on the same day for a quick day trip to Tikal. The flight time was 45 minutes in the air. The first leg was on this very small prop plane that had maybe 5 or 6 rows no bathroom, no flight attendant. They actually provided a small breakfast on the seat - a juice box, a pack of cookies, ear plugs and some gum. The flight was quite smooth, left on time and we had no problems at all.

The flight on the way back was on a larger prop plane, the Embraer 110, that had probably 13 rows or so, with a flight attendant, bathroom, drink service. The plane seemed huge compared with the one we took that morning. It was a good flight, smooth, on time, no problems at all. The flight attendant was bilingual and took her job seriously.

The Mundo Maya airport in Flores is surprisingly nice, has lots of seating areas and very comfortable. The domestic airport in Guatemala City is small but decent enough. Surprisingly, there was no security whatsoever when boarding the plane in Guatemala City, we didn't even have to pass throught the typical airport scanner. In Flores, however, they not only had the scanners they even manually searched the hand luggage.

Overall I would give a very positive rating to TAG an our experience with domestic flights within Guatemala.

Rahway, New Jersey
reviews: 52
7. Re: TAG Airlines to Flores

Any idea of the price range for this flight? It does not come up on Kayak, and the "reservas" area of their website seems to be under construction.

Watford, United...
8. Re: TAG Airlines to Flores

Our UK travel agent organised our (2 of us) TAG late afternoon flight from Guatemala City to Flores as part of our near 3 weeks trip around Guatemala & Belize. We arrived well over an hour before departure. The airline refused to transport any of our hold luggage; this happened to 4 passengers on this flight. No clear explanation was given (pilot decision we were told) and at no stage were the bags weighed while we were there. They did allow us to stuff our small cabin bags (again not weighed) but we flew to Flores with a planned early next morning Tikel trek from the Jungle Lodge hoping that we had grabbed what we needed. Fortunately the travel agent local rep picked up our bags when they finally did make it on a TAG flight the next day and transported them to the Lodge (long after we had set out for our trek); the airline declined to offer this service and we would have been stuck if travelling under our own auspices or moving on immediately after the flight.

Edited: 9:13 am, March 10, 2013
California
reviews: 3
9. Re: TAG Airlines to Flores

About 10 days ago, we flew TACA from Flores to Tikal. We chose TACA because we could use our United frequent flyer miles. While waiting for our flight, we saw both a big TAG prop plane as well as a small one arrive from Guatemala City. Apparently there were enough people for the two planes that morning.

I found little information on the Flores airport rules before I traveled, so let me share what we learned. You can take bottles of water on the plane. The liquid rule does not apply. They manually searched our checked luggage (not overly throroughly), but they removed every single item from our carry-on luggage in our presence and then re-packed it for us. They confiscated my masking tape and plastic silverware -- neither of which was a huge loss. They were rather puzzled at a few items I had but seemed to let us keep them if they couldn't figure out what they were and didn't see a huge risk. They then manually searched person, rather invasively I might add.

Kansas City, Kansas
reviews: 21
10. Re: TAG Airlines to Flores

I recently flew by Tag and it was great. They were on time and it takes about 45 minutes from the City to Tikal. The seats were big and comfortable and there were plenty of empty ones too. They gave a snack box for the flight to Tikal but not for the one back. The security at Flores airport is very strict and there is also a Q20/$3USD fee that you have to pay at the airport while coming back.

Reply to: TAG Airlines to Flores
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted