We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs in Antigua

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Corona, California
reviews: 1
ATMs in Antigua

Jeannine2708, If you are leary of the ATMs and should be, go to one of the banks around the plaza and wait for a teller. Most of them require your passport(not a copy) and two more IDs. Talked to some locals and they said that is what they do. There is usually a wait so plan on a half hour. The process took about 20 minutes plus waiting for a teller. Good luck. My wife used her card last Saturday and Monday we got an email from our provider saying the machine is contaminated and they cancelled her card. Luckily my card is a different number and we have a back up debit card. We travel to other countries a lot so we have both Visa and Master Card. We will be leaving Antigua this Saturday for a second week in Panahachel. Good luck.

Richmond, Virginia
1. Re: ATMs in Antigua

Hi,

Thanks for the information! When you say wait for a bank teller, will you be able to give the teller the debit/atm card to get cash out? Or were you implying to wait for a teller to exchange cash? Thanks!!

South Carolina
reviews: 154
2. Re: ATMs in Antigua

I got cash once at a Guatemalan bank by giving a bank teller my debit card. It was at a bank in Coban if I remember correctly. It was quite a few years ago. You can normally exchange dollars at any bank in Guatemala. Only a few times have I been rejected at a bank because I did not have an account there. These days, however, I simply exchange dollars and never rely on my debit card while there.

Richmond, Virginia
3. Re: ATMs in Antigua

Thanks for your speedy response! The reason I ask is because I will be in Antigua for about a year and know I won't be able to bring enough cash to exchange dollars for the entire time that I will be there. I feel like it is inevitable that I will have to use my card at some point. However, I welcome any other suggestions on ways to re-up without using the card?

Rehoboth Beach...
reviews: 1
4. Re: ATMs in Antigua

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about using Western Union as an alternative for extended stays? I was just looking at their website and it appears that a $1000 transfer from my bank account to a western union agent in Antigua (there are 4) would yield an exchange rate of 7.79 Q to the dollar and have a fee of $25. This seems like a pretty competitive exchange rate and a transaction fee of 2.5%. You have a 3 day wait to get this lowest fee, but as long as you don't wait until you are completely out of funds that shouldn't be a problem.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts about this. It won't work for everyone, but might be a safe alternative for those staying for extended periods.

Edited: 10:23 am, August 10, 2012
california
reviews: 19
5. Re: ATMs in Antigua

Interested to know if you did use Western Union? Trying to get information on this because cannot find out if you can send money to yourself. Thanks

Fredonia, Ky.
reviews: 24
6. Re: ATMs in Antigua

Western Union sounds like an interesting idea. We just returned from Antigua and banking was a problem but restaurants, hotels etc. will take dollars. We learned the mayor & 2police officials had just been arrested for embezzlement. 1 bank on the square wouldn't even let us through the "guys with guns" outside. The 2nd bank exchanged money after much paperwork and about 45 minuts, but didn't speak a word of english. I wouldn't trust the ATM's personally, but understand there are a few at hotels that travelers use safely. Not sure what I'd do for a long stay in the city.

portland, or
reviews: 6
7. Re: ATMs in Antigua

I have heard that there isa safe at a monastery here? But we are here now, the atms on tge park central mow have signs saying they are treated phishing scams.

Is this true?

portland, or
8. Re: ATMs in Antigua

So, my post last night was completely unreadable.

i am in antigua now. The ATM s by the park have very large signs saying these have "new anti scamming technology", and claim to be safe. The funny thing is, i have been popping into the nicer hotels asking about ATMs, they all say use the ones in question by the park! Are hotel owners unaware of the problem their guests are having?

That seems hard to believe, given that this has gone on for some time.

Anyway, i have heard that there is a safe atm here, in a monastery? Unfortunately i did not write down the info, bad memory, but i will investigate and report back.

california
reviews: 19
9. Re: ATMs in Antigua

Because you are there now--would you try to find out if one can go to a teller in a bank and use an ATM/debit card to get cash. In particular, would like to know this information regarding Banco Industrial on 5th St just south of the park. Re the ATM, are you thinking of the one in Casa Santo Domingo?

portland, or
10. Re: ATMs in Antigua

Is that where it is, in Casa Santa Domingo?

I will try to find out what i can about in bank transactions. What we might do is pay for the hotel with credit card. They charge 5% to do this, the cost visa charges them, but it would free up cash until we get somewhere else.