We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Antigua, Chichi and Tikal

Which Antigua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Safety in Antigua, Chichi and Tikal

Hi - We're planning to vacation in Guatemala shortly, staying for a while in Antigua with brief stays in Chichi and the Jungle Inn at Tikal for a night. We've heard lots of amazing things and then just heard from one friend about lots of safety concerns there. Can anyone who has been recently give any advice as to whether you as an American felt comfortable, safe, etc in these destinations - what we heard today was very scary and so different from what we had heard and read. Thanks!

Clinton
reviews: 4
1. Re: Safety in Antigua, Chichi and Tikal

My wife and I (we're senior citizens)are returning for our fourth annual trip to Guatemala in two weeks. Wondferul country, friendly people. Have always felt safe. You'll see lots of armed police in Antigua, which we stroll around at all hours.I'd spend at least a couple of nights in Panajachel on Lake Attitlan. It really is one of the most beatiful lakes in the world. A day trip to the ChiChi market on a Thursday or Sunday is sufficient. Pana has good, inexpensive hotels, wonderful restaurants.Take a boat trip around the lake. We rent a bungalo there for $400 a month.

As long as you use common sense (no flashy gold jewelry,etc) you're going to have a great and SAFE time.

Bethesda, MD
reviews: 24
2. Re: Safety in Antigua, Chichi and Tikal

Same advice as above. Use common sense and you'll be fine, especially in heavily touristed areas like Antigua, Tikal, and Chichi.

Deerfield Beach...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Safety in Antigua, Chichi and Tikal

Hi there, if you read the guatemalan papers, you'll see that the government has assumed city and out of town buses safety as their number one priority, in view of recent incidents. They have assigned more policemen and soldiers and established more check points in order to rebuild public confidence in the system. Nevertheless, as long as you stay away from city and chicken buses. Specially chicken bus stations which is where pickpockets prey on taking advantage of large crowds and only use shuttle vans, taxis or pullman type first class buses you should be OK. Good luck.

Lake Arrowhead...
reviews: 62
4. Re: Safety in Antigua, Chichi and Tikal

My husband and I were in Guatemala last October. I had many of the same concerns you do, but have to tell you that not once did I feel in any danger. We were based in Antigua and did an overnight trip in Pana to see Lake Atitlán. From there we went to Chichi--we hit it on a Thursday, so it was teeming with people. And we went to Tikal, which was the highlight of our trip. We found the people friendly and helpful--even the police in Antigua, who went out of his way to help us find the restaurant we were looking for.

If you follow basic travel safety precautions that are pretty obvious, you shouldn't have any problem. Guatemala is a beautiful, lush place to see--enjoy!

paris
reviews: 15
5. Re: Safety in Antigua, Chichi and Tikal

I am writing this from zona viva in guatemala city.

I went today to the city center walked around ,shopped in the mercado central all with no problems and concern.

Tonight I walked, around 7pm, 14 blocks to restaurant Jake's ,however just a few blocks from the restaurant the streets became empty and I noticed armed guards in front of houses so commun sense dictated to take a taxi to the restaurant,which I did.

I have been to tikal and antigua .In those places there is no problem whatsoever in terms of security.

Deerfield Beach...
reviews: 12
6. Re: Safety in Antigua, Chichi and Tikal

Hey Pierre, thanks for your feedback about walking around the dowtown areas in guatemala city. With so much police around you have to feel safe. And if you go downstairs in the central market you can taste some of the most delicious tropical fruits you've ever tasted. The central market is probably the best place to do all of your shopping because prices are better than the other touristy places in the country.

Chicago
reviews: 3
7. Re: Safety in Antigua, Chichi and Tikal

Just got back from Guatemala (Antigua, Rabinal, Coban, Semuc Champey, and Pana -Santa Cruz). I felt 100% safe even riding chicken buses. Common sense, keep your head up, and be polite. For what it's worth, I cam back to learn of another campus killing spree in my homestate. Violence can happen anytime and anywhere.

8. Re: Safety in Antigua, Chichi and Tikal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, September 20, 2009