We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling around Martha's Vineyard - Older adult

Which Martha's Vineyard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shreveport...
Traveling around Martha's Vineyard - Older adult

I am traveling to MV in late July. My mother, my niece and I haven rented a nice little house and are very excited about our 1st visit to the island! My mother is 70something and has slowed a bit in the past year. My question is whether it's best to take the bus to see the island or rent a car considering her walking and endurance has slowed. We are staying in Vineyard Haven but would like to explore other areas. If we ride the bus around, are the drop-offs close to things to do, restaurants? If we rent a car, how is the driving? Are there a lot of places to park when we stop in the different towns? Thank you for any and all advice

Edited: 10:30 am, June 30, 2014
4 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 101
1. Re: Traveling around Martha's Vineyard - Older adult

see my response to your other post

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 27
2. Re: Traveling around Martha's Vineyard - Older adult

(I didn't see Kendrick's response to the other posts)

So here is my advice:

I just spend 4th of July week/weekend on the island. It was pure insanity. Finding a place to park less than 1/4 of a mile from where we wanted to be was nearly impossible. The bus stops are frequent and it's pretty affordable. Gas on the island was $4.65/gallon last week so you also have that to think about, though it doesn't require much to get around. We are walkers so it wasn't a big deal, but I would think having mobility issues would definitely cause some kinks if you have to park so far away from where you want to be! Good luck and have fun!!

Long Valley, New...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Traveling around Martha's Vineyard - Older adult

This is our third year - Since my mother has had significant changes in her mobility as she has aged, I'd suggest bringing your car on the island, or renting. If you are in a house and not "in-town" most stuff is not considered in walking distance.

You are definitely going to want to set a night to take her to Aquinnah at sunset. It's breathtaking. There are some fabulous restaurants to take her to. Alchemy in Edgartown is one of our favorites (not kid friendly)depending on the age of your niece.

We enjoyed breakfast at "The Right Fork Diner" - You can take a ride on the bi-planes if you are a thrill seeker .

If you rent an SUV, you can get a day pass and drive right onto South Beach, park and sit. Which is awesome and your Mom would appreciate not having to walk onto the beach.

Enjoy, it's wonderful!

Evanston, Illinois
reviews: 105
4. Re: Traveling around Martha's Vineyard - Older adult

Your issue hits home with me, since we just returned from the island with two seniors, one of whom has moderate mobility issues. We did not bring or rent a car (which in hindsight would have been the best bet for transporting my father in law). Rental cars are unbelievable expensive on the island, so if you can bring your own car across that would be the best way to do it. We were unable to do this, as the ferry was booked solid during our travel day, so we decided to do without. We ended up doing most of our traveling in taxis, which was convenient and comfortable, and got us door to door wherever we wanted to go - but the money added up quickly, especially when we wanted to do multiple things in a day, or wanted to travel longer distances (like to the Aquinnah, Chilmark, or Menemsha Beach areas from our house in OB). We eventually started using the buses by mid-week, and found that if you plan carefully and are not adverse to some extra walking you can get around the island fairly well - but timing is everything. We started on Day 1 with an all-island tour by MV Transport, and were able to see most of the places we were interested in, so that we could then plan whether it was worth it to bike, cab or bus to these spots again throughout the week (if using a taxi call ahead and ask what the fee will be, especially when traveling a considerable distance). For example, Aquinnah is beautiful, but by bus from the OB area you might travel for an hour, then you have no where else to go easily, without the services of another bus, or a taxi. By taxi, for our group of 8 from OB, the fare would have been close to $70, so we made sure the island tour we booked included a stop there, so we were able to see everything for the price of the tour, which was well worth it. Little things like that can help you see what you want to see, and go where you want to go without spending a fortune, or making your senior family members uncomfortable.

Reply to: Traveling around Martha's Vineyard - Older adult
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted