We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing the island by bus - good idea for older people

Which Martha's Vineyard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shreveport...
Seeing the island by bus - good idea for older people

I am traveling to MV in late July. My mother, my niece and I haven rented a nice little house and are very excited about our 1st visit to the island! My mother is 70something and has slowed a bit in the past year. My question is whether it's best to take the bus to see the island or rent a car considering her walking and endurance has slowed. We are staying in Vineyard Haven but would like to explore other areas. If we ride the bus around, are the drop-offs close to things to do, restaurants? If we rent a car, how is the driving? Are there a lot of places to park when we stop in the different towns? Thank you for any and all advice!

4 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 100
1. Re: Seeing the island by bus - good idea for older people

If it was my mother, I would rent a car. The driving on the island is fine, people are very respectful of speed limits, etc. Parking, however can be tough in town during the season, but not impossible.

The bus is very convenient when visiting the main island towns, but it can be a long, tedious ride out to the other end & where there are some nice places to visit such as Aquinnah & Menemsha. Here is a link with maps, schedules, fares etc

www.vineyardtransit.com/Pages/VTA_Maps/index.

Edited: 10:38 am, June 30, 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
2. Re: Seeing the island by bus - good idea for older people

maybe a combination if you don't need the car the entire week. Island transport is pretty easy between towns. Tour buses are good for information you won't get if you do the drive yourself. Or if money is not an issue, get the car and don't worry about it.

Shreveport...
3. Re: Seeing the island by bus - good idea for older people

Thanks for the responses! My first thought is to rent a car, just wanted get some thoughts, pros/cons. Will probably rent for half the week. Thanks again.

ottawa
4. Re: Seeing the island by bus - good idea for older people

as far as buses go .. the MV buses/shuttles are about the best I've ever used for touring around a vacation spot .. cheap and frequent and pleasant as well.

Reply to: Seeing the island by bus - good idea for older people
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted