We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?

Which Martha's Vineyard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rockville, Maryland
reviews: 6
Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?

Having a hard time getting a reservation to bring the car over on very does anyone have any experience with renting a car on Martha's Vineyard? Or does anybody know the best time to be able to bring an auto over?

10 replies to this topic
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 3
1. Re: Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?

If you are going for a day trip then you don't really need a car. Good bus service, taxis and/or a tour are all available.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 107
2. Re: Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?

Senior is right you don't need a car for a day trip but if you are coming for a longer period of time you may want one. Have you put yourself on the stand-by list for the car ferry? Usually folks have good luck with that. You can also rent a car on the island, if you are coming during high season don't delay.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
3. Re: Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?

Best time to bring a car without a reservation- Decmeber...

Don't need one for a day. There are tour buses, Van tours, bikes, scooters and cars for rent. Or you could take the very accessible public bus between towns.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 3
4. Re: Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?

I think that the OP was planning to stay in Eastham sometime this month. May want to consider going to Nantucket from Harwich Port instead of M.V. Closer to Eastham. Parking is free and car not necessary.

www.nantucketislandferry.com

Edited: 1:56 pm, June 24, 2014
Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 105
5. Re: Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?

What are your dates? Are the dates you want completely unavailable for coming over and return? I've had plenty of guests rent cars and it is an easy process. If someone is staying for three or more nights on the island, I generally suggest they rent a car for one of those days. It's a beautiful island, approximately 100sq miles, taking 45 minutes to drive from one end to the other. Lots to see and do in between. If you are here for just one day, there is enough to see in the 'down-island' towns of Vineyard Haven, Oak Bluffs and Edgartown, to fill a day.

Give us a better idea of the length of time you're going to spend on-island and what you want to see/do and we can offer more specific suggestions.

Cambridge...
reviews: 97
6. Re: Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?

What you need to do is make a reservation for the day you want to go over - any reservation - and then put yourself on standby for the times you really want. You can't be on standby unless you have a reservation. I pretty much always have been able to get a time I wanted, or very close, the Steamship Authority will constantly update you on your status.

I now it's fashionable to say you don't need a car on the Vineyard but IMHO the best parts of the island require one.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
7. Re: Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?

But, I don't think that first time visitors are told where those best places are, so they don't really need a car. :)

Cambridge...
reviews: 97
8. Re: Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?

hint - they're mostly not in Edgartown or OB

Rockville, Maryland
reviews: 6
9. Re: Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?

Yes, I am here now. Don't really care for tours so much. We like to explore on our own. I guess I should have made a reservation a LONG time ago. We want to see the beaches and go around the whole island. So I guess a car rental is the way to go. Any suggestions for must see things?

Northampton, MA
reviews: 31
10. Re: Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?

Menemsha is a special place. Definitely Aquinnah where I would have breakfast or lunch at the restaurant with the outdoor dining deck over the ocean. The drive there and back bringsw you through Chilmark which is some of the most beautiful land I've ever seen and where the billionaires live. Besides that, a stroll around Edgartown is nice and then a stroll around the Methodist campground in Oak Bluffs.

Reply to: Getting around Marthas Vineyard. Car rental? Bring Auto?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted