We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

Which Martha's Vineyard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 13
Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

HI there, We will be traveling with our 4 year-old and another couple with their 7 year-old. We are renting a place in Oak Bluffs and renting a car for the week. We are traveling from Texas and I have already made our bus reservations on Peter Pan Bus Lines and the other couple is renting a car and drving. We will have my friend's mom on the trip who will watch the boys in the evening so we can go out and enjoy ourselves in the evenings.

My husband will be celebrating his birthday during this time, but more importantly, i want to make sure that we partake in any type of kid friendly activities/etc. We will be there July 12-19

Thanks in advance for your help. If you have a good restaurant suggestion for the bday, let me know that too if you don't mind!

26 replies to this topic
Chicago
reviews: 7
21. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

Thanks. Do you advise staying on MV versus the cape itself? Are trying to decide if we should travel a bit or just get a place in MV. Any suggestions / tips for ferry etc to the islands.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 96
22. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

JoeyCatoria - if you're interested in the Vineyard, it is a great location for families (see above posts for lots of ideas) To get there, you have several choices of ferries, the main one being the Steamship Authority out of Woods Hole in Falmouth (on Cape Cod) It is the least expensive and if you are planning on bringing a car over, the only option

https://www1.steamshipauthority.com/…

The beaches on the Vineyard range from calm and little-kid friendly to the crashing-waves of South Beach. It is a really special place & you will have a memorable family vacation.

If you are interested in the Cape, well that is also very family-friendly and has the same kind of beaches except there are many, many more of them. Cape Cod consists of 15 towns and is divided into 3 areas: Upper Cape, closest to the bridge, mid-Cape and lower-Cape. We like the lower-Cape because of easy access to the wonderful beaches of the National Seashore. You can also take a day-trip to Martha's Vineyard using either the Woods Hole ferry or one from Hyannis (mid-Cape)

Either way, you will have a great time. Here is another link for finding cottages in both locations:

www.weneedavacation.com If you are hesitant about using the online rental site then using a realtor may be the way to go. We use vrbo all the time & have had good luck but have done due diligence in terms of reading reviews, googling property address, using a credit card to pay (no wire transfers!) etc.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 13
23. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

We chose MV because we felt like they have more to do with young kids. You can go to Nantucket on Cape Air while you are there to check it out. Let me know what you decide or private message me for the rental we used. We used a realtor we found on home away.com

Boston...
reviews: 11
24. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

I want to reinforce a few things and maybe add one more:

Right Fork Diner, at the tiny airfield south of Edgartown (in Katama). Lots of fun.

Island Alpaca, a must! If you are lucky, there could be a brand new baby alpaca. As you approach the entrance, you can see if they put balloons on the sign.

How about the ferry to Chappaquiddick? The On-Time Ferry is its name. You can use it as a pedestrian, bicyclist or with a motor vehicle. Motor vehicles do usually need to wait in line, but the others usually don't have any wait at all. It's fun on its own, but it also puts you onto Chappaquiddick for a visit over there. Note that maps of MV may be a few years old, and I believe that right now Chappaquiddick is a true island again -- in other words, the spit of land that used to connect Chappy to most of M.V. has been split by storms. the only way to get a vehicle over to Chappy is to use the ferry.

Did anyone mention the cliffs at Aquinnah? In older guide books they are the Gay Head cliffs. Well worth a visit.

Stafford TX
reviews: 4
25. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

We just got back from MV. Our visit lasted a week and we had our 4 year old and 2 year old grandsons with us. They loved Felix Neck Seashore Excursion, Longpoint Beach was worth finding and we found great seashells, the carrousel of course and we got the brass ring so had a free ride, Polly Hill Arboretum was a great walk and I suggest doing it on your own not with the guide because kids just didn't care what she says about the plants but they loved running and seeing the wildlife--turkey, squirrel, deer, and chipmunks. We bought a kite at the Corner Store and flew it in Ocean Park, State Beach was the calmest water, the boys enjoyed the hike to two of the light houses Aquinnah-Gay Head and Edgartown. We even enjoyed Morning Glory Farms and bought our vegetables, homemade pie and bread, and meats here. The boys loved having a basket and picking out what we would eat. The strawberries were fabulous. We are also from Texas and rented a house for a week in Oak Bluffs. It was a wonderful week!!! We enjoyed restaurants also...MV Chowder Co., a beer garden just opened in Edgartown, Nancy's. With the boys Linda Jean's, Giordano's. Hope our experience helps.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 96
26. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

Thanks for posting this! If you have a minute, maybe you could copy & paste into a separate Trip Report posting? It is very good information and I would hate for it to get lost in this post from last year.

Reply to: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted