We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

Which Martha's Vineyard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 13
Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

HI there, We will be traveling with our 4 year-old and another couple with their 7 year-old. We are renting a place in Oak Bluffs and renting a car for the week. We are traveling from Texas and I have already made our bus reservations on Peter Pan Bus Lines and the other couple is renting a car and drving. We will have my friend's mom on the trip who will watch the boys in the evening so we can go out and enjoy ourselves in the evenings.

My husband will be celebrating his birthday during this time, but more importantly, i want to make sure that we partake in any type of kid friendly activities/etc. We will be there July 12-19

Thanks in advance for your help. If you have a good restaurant suggestion for the bday, let me know that too if you don't mind!

27 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 101
1. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

Oak Bluffs is a great place for families. There is an old-fashioned carousel, the Flying Horses where kids can try to get the brass ring for a free ride. You should also plan on visiting the Gingerbread Houses, both are right in the center of town. State Beach is perfect for small kids, calm & warm(er) water, lots of other kids to play with, too. You could also visit the Island Alpaca Farm with the kids, head into Edgartown for some ice cream & watch the Chappy Ferry, go up to Menemsha for a sunset, out to Aquinnah to see the Gay Head Cliffs & light house.

Check www.mvol.com for specific events while you are on the island.

As for restaurants for the birthday dinner, are you thinking more upscale or casual?

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 94
2. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

It's nice that you'll have a car, which will increase the activities that are available to you. The MV Chamber of Commerce calendar is a wealth of information on events. Plenty of kids activities http://www.mvy.com/Events/EventsCalendar.aspx

-Wednesday evening Sing-alongs in the tabernacle located in the center of the gingerbread cottages is a very old fashioned traditional island thing to do.

-Sunday evenings in Ocean Park, Oak Bluffs, marching around the gazebo as the Marching band plays, is a simple fun activity. Pizza from Giordanos' in the park (the band does alt btw VH and OB every other Sun)

-Visit the Felix Neck website for kids programs and sign them up.

-Fly a kite or just run around in Ocean Park

-Get up early Sat and go the the W. Tisbury Farmers market. Make sure to visit Alley's General Store while you're in the area and roam around the sculptures across the street in the field gallery. The library is there for bathroom breaks ;)

Is your rental located within walking distance to Oak Bluffs?

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 73
3. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

yep, the carousel is a huge hit with kids! hours of fun...not so much for mom and dad...lol...its fun for a few spins but after 5 mommy is done..lol...it is great to see and do. eat some icecream...plenty to opt for in OB near the carousel.

do walk the gingerbread houses as suggested. beautiful! amazing. also walk the campgrounds. just nice to see and very quaint.

plenty of shopping is at hand...circuit ave in OB and Edgartown. take the kids to see Aquinnah...great to see the ocean view from there! enjoy

Dallas, Texas
4. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

Yes the rental us located in walking distance in OB near circuit avenue. The house has a tennis court not sure if you've seen it

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 73
5. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

make sure to get icecream w/ the kids at madmarthas and a donut at back door donuts!

our 10 yr old also liked walkin down in the morning to mocha motts on circuit and eating a bagel while I enjoyed my coffee and we just strolled around a bit. good way to start the day!

Dallas, Texas
6. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

Thanks everyone for your help. I just realized that since our rental doesn't have a pool we only have the ocean to swim in :) Is there a pool that is public that we can swim? We will purchase a slip and slide to have at the house, I just need to figure out if there is a hose of some sort. Any other suggestions?

Dallas, Texas
7. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

Oh sorry, I just noticed your question, probably more upscale for the bday dinner but you can give a casual option

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 101
8. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

I don't know of a public pool on the Vineyard - with the ocean & lakes I am not sure they need one! You can get a day pass to the Mansion House pool which is located in Vineyard Haven:

mvmansionhouse.com/marthas-vineyard-health-c…

Seriously tho, State Beach is perfect for small kids, very little in the way of waves, warm water temps, beautiful beach & lifeguards. Plus, it is free.

As for the birthday dinner, check out the Sweet Life Cafe (upscale) in Oak Bluffs or the Blue Canoe (more casual in Vineyard Haven)

Edited: 4:36 pm, June 23, 2013
Dallas, Texas
9. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

Thanks

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 94
10. Re: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?

I agree that The Sweet Life Cafe (outdoor dining, suggest reservation) and Blue Canoe (in Vineyard Haven) are great choices for an adult Birthday celebration dinner. In Edgartown, Alchemy, Atria or Chesca's are excellent choices, as well. Detente is great, but the owners just bought The Sweet Life Cafe, so you might as well stay in Oak Bluffs, if you are thinking about their establishment. There are many casual places to dine in Oak Bluffs; Slice of Life Cafe, Offshore Ale, Lookout Tavern, Nancy's, etc. For upscale casual, in Oak Bluffs,I highly suggest The Red Cat and Sidecar Cafe. Both located on Kennebec Avenue. They are two of my personal favorite places to go for dinner.

The town beach and State beach are excellent for kids. There are no public pools on the island. We just go to the beach. As mentioned above, the Mansion house pool is open to the public for a fee, but is located in the dark basement of the hotel.

Reply to: Kid Friendly places/activities during our stay in MV?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted