We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooters on MV

Which Martha's Vineyard hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Daytona Beach...
reviews: 267
Scooters on MV

We're going to MV on a cruise and will be there only 5 hours or so and thinking of renting scooters. Has anyone done that lately? How's the Island rec'v the scooters? Are they more of a pain than fun? We figured it was the best way to see lots of stuff at our pace. Any advice welcome. Thanks!

Martha's Vineyard
Destination Expert
for Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 105
1. Re: Scooters on MV

Don't rent scooters/mopeds!!! Every year we have at least one fatality. I often pass people on them, frightened, driving on the side of the road, desparately attempting to stay out of the way while cars, buses and trucks pass dangerously close to the scooters with thin wheels topped with heavy passengers driving fast on sandy roads. Not a good mix... The scooter renters also will tell you that they do not recommend driving 'up-island' due to the narrow winding roads and long distance. Therefore, you will miss a lot of the island feel. You're on the island for only five hours, so relax, enjoy and let someone else do the driving with a two and a half hour island tour on a bus. You can get the tour beside Mad Martha's ice cream shop at the bottom of Circuit Ave in Oak Bluffs, down near the harbor. The island is much bigger than many people realize (100 sq miles) and this is the best way to see the most in the shortest period of time. Spend the rest of the time walking around enjoying the unique architecture of either Oak Bluffs or Edgartown. The island is a beautiful special place. I hope you have a wonderful visit.

Daytona Beach...
2. Re: Scooters on MV

Thanks Knows. We're motorcycle riders so we are quite aware of riding thing, but this is exactly what I wanted to know. I too was under estimating the size of the island. We'll just have to see if we like it enough to come back and see all there is to see. I've been there before, but not for more than 20 years.

Thanks again.

Connecticut
reviews: 1
3. Re: Scooters on MV

We have been to the Vineyard several times and we always rent scooters, while at times the get crowded it is a lot of fun and we have seen the whole island while on scooters. Just be carefeul!

Daytona Beach...
4. Re: Scooters on MV

Thanks Spanky. I guess we'll play it by ear. We'll be there during the week so maybe it won't be too bad. I was kind of looking forward to renting them.