We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

thanksgiving on nantucket

Which Nantucket hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 35
thanksgiving on nantucket

thinking about renting a house in Nantucket for thanksgiving week. as its the off season how much will be closed? restaurants open at all? shops? grocery markets?

4 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
reviews: 96
1. Re: thanksgiving on nantucket

Hi, the Island is home to 10,000 full-time residents so things will be open, including grocery stores, restaurants & shops (not all). Here is a link to the Community Calendar, looks like a few things going on in November

nantucketchamber.org/events/communityevents.…

Boston...
reviews: 114
2. Re: thanksgiving on nantucket

I've been on Nantucket in November and it turned out to be an ideal time to visit. Uncrowded, scenic, beautiful.

West Chester...
3. Re: thanksgiving on nantucket

I am in Nantucket almost every Tanksgiving week because I have a time share there.

On Thanksgiving day, most stores are closed as well as the small supermarket in town although a new Stop & Shop opened there this year and it might be open that day. There is a larger one on island also.

I suggest making reservations ahead of time for dinner that day if going out.

It's a fun day that starts with a "Turkey Plunge" at the Children's beach in town. Locals and visitors alike take a plunge in the cold water for the children's library fund. Need to register first if you want to do this.

Also, the Christmas tree lighting takes place Friday after Thanksgiving. (Vice-president Biden is usually in the crowd with his family.)

Main St is very quaint with live trees all lit up and decorated by school children and the local coast guard.

Enjoy!!

Westport
4. Re: thanksgiving on nantucket

My family goes to Nantucket every Thanksgiving as well because my mother in law has a house there in Madaket. The town is always full of people at that time and there are plenty of fun things to do but make sure you have a dinner reservation if you intend to eat out as places get booked up. Last year we did a family portrait on the beach that week (wasn't that cold and we got some great shots of the kids - you'd never know from the photos that it was almost December!) The photographer was Runaway Bride Nantucket - and I think they have special rates for Nantucket Hotel guests. Was a fun way to capture the extended family all together and we used the photos for our Holiday Cards. Another highlight we had last year was seeing Vice President Biden at the Turkey Plunge which is an event where everyone who's brave enough jumps in the water at Children's Beach. Super fun time in Nantucket over Thanksgiving weekend every year for our family- highly recommended!

Reply to: thanksgiving on nantucket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted