We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer

Which Nantucket hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carver...
reviews: 14
first timer

Going to Nantucket for the first time in May (by coincidence during the Wine Festival). A surprise trip for my husband on our 15th anniversary. Staying at the Cliff Lodge. Wondering must-do and must-see locations we shouldn't miss. Also, recommendations for restaurants would be appreciated.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
reviews: 20
1. Re: first timer

Check the Things to Do tab above and you'll find things that interest you. You can read the restaurant reviews too. Expect the restaurants to all be pricy and just enjoy. Have fun.

Carver...
2. Re: first timer

I have done extensive research on here and have chosen a few don't miss things I found. Planning dinner at The Breeze and a tour of Cisco Brewery for sure. Just thought some people might have off the beaten path places that aren't on the "popular" list. So many fun things I wish we were going longer than 3 days, but definitely couldn't afford more than that anyway LOL.

buffalo NY
reviews: 10
3. Re: first timer

Some of my favorite spots in the island: Steps Beach (close to where you'll be staying), Altar Rock, Sconset. While I haven't lived on island since the early 1990s, one memory that endures is the spinach & feta croissant from Fast Forward/Espresso to Go. Highly recommended for a quick, ultra casual breakfast or an anytime snack. Enjoy your trip. I expect that even with the wine festival, you'll miss the summer crowds by visiting in May. Dressly warmly. Spring doesn't come to Nantucket.

Boston
reviews: 3
4. Re: first timer

The Wine Festival is a big pre-season event, so you'll want to make dinner reservations as soon as you decide where you'd like to go. The Straight Wharf, Boardinghouse, Corazon del Mar, Pearl, 56 Union, Cru and American Seasons are favorites. Great food, but each of them is pretty pricey even by city standards.

The shuttles on the beach routes won't be running yet, so you'll need to cab or - better yet - rent a bike. If weather permits, ride out to Sconset on the Polpis Road, or out to Madaket. Bring a picnic from Provisions or Something Natural and eat on the beach, watching for seals. The Whaling Museum and Shipwreck and Lifesaving Museum are both really informative and entertaining, and give a good sense of the history of the island. Check to be sure the Shipwreck and Lifesaving Museum is open when you're there.

There are shops, galleries and restaurants to browse in town. Petticoat Row is a great bakery, Sweet Inspirations has chocolate covered cranberries, and The Juice Bar makes excellent ice cream. For breakfast, try Fog Island Cafe or Black-eyed Susan's.

A Nantucket weekend before the season gets underway is usually poking around the shops and galleries, riding bikes out to Sconset, sitting on the beach, and dining at great restaurants. Very relaxing - enjoy.

Carver...
5. Re: first timer

Thank you all for the great recommendations! Can't wait to get there and check it all out. I have already made a reservation for Breezes for our anniversary dinner on the advice of our innkeeper. any thoughts Kamellbos or smooter? gonna check American Seasons cuz you are the second person to recommend that one. Thanks for the help.

new england
reviews: 30
6. Re: first timer

-Bike to Sanford Farms (conservation land), park the bikes, then take a short, medium or long hike (there are several loops); you might just have the place to yourselves.

and/or

-BIke to Tuppency Links, then take a short walk to the cliff (overlooks town; there's a bench)

- Bike or walk to Something Natural for sandwiches, cookies, chips, loaves of bread...you can eat there at one of the picnic tables that are scattered across their lawn or carry out for a picnic elsewhere. (Another good take-out sandwich shop is "Fresh" -- it's right downtown...they should be open in May...sells wine and beer, too)

- The Whaling Museum is the biggest 'must do'; be sure you go up to their widow's walk

- Stop in at the Atheneum and take a look at The Great Hall on the 2nd floor (a lot of famous figures have lectured here in times past and present. Re Frederick Douglass, for instance, see:

nantucketatheneum.org/about/… )

- If you get out to 'Sconset (aka Siasconset), walk along the "secret" (it's public but looks private) cliff path that bpilko's describes in this TA post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29527-i380-k20676…

- If a movie ends up being the right choice after a long day, the recently rebuilt Dreamland theater and the much smaller Starlight theater are within a block of each other. (The must-do part of this would be to bring along some triple-chocolate maltballs, cranberry-studded caramel corn, or other sweets from Sweet Inspirations but check the store hours...Sweet Inspirations tends to close long before evening movies start)

Carver...
7. Re: first timer

Thanks Gams! I'm thinking I need longer than 3 days to fit everything I want to do in :)

8. Re: first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 04, 2014