We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-Day Nantucket Stay

Which Nantucket hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 1
3-Day Nantucket Stay

My mom and I are visiting from Sept. 17-19. after spending that previous weekend in Boston. I'm looking for some guidance with the transportation onto the island... should we rent a car in Boston, drive to Hyannis and then take the ferry? As for the ferry, she gets a little seasick; is one preferable to the other to keep this at a minimum? What would you recommend as a great place to have good seafood? Thanks!

Chester, NJ
reviews: 10
1. Re: 3-Day Nantucket Stay

The quickest and easiest way is to fly directly from BOS (www.flycapeair.com). Alternatives are: drive to Hyannis and take the fast ferry, drive to Hyannis and take the slow ferry, drive to Hyannis and fly from there, take a bus to Hyannis and take any of the preceding options. The slow ferry takes 2 1/4 hours and costs about $30 RT (www.steamshipauthority.com). The fast ferry is about twice as much and takes about an hour (www.hylinecruises). The plane from Hyannis (also www.flycapeair.com) costs about $100 RT plus cab fare to town (the ferries come into the town directly) and takes 20 minutes. The plane directly from BOS is about $275 RT and takes about 40 minutes.

For the cost of car rental and parking (say $40/day+$15/day parking in Hyannis = $165 for 3 days), the hassles of renting, parking and returning the car and the short length of your stay, I'd seriously consider the BOS to ACK direct flight . If you take the ferry, the Steamship Authority's slow ferry is the smoothest and the slowest, but Nantucket Sound is usually pretty smooth on any of the ferries.

For a casual seafood place, try the Lobster Trap. For "fine dining", almost any place will have good (and expensive!) seafood. Try strolling around the town and looking at menus: American Seasons, 21 Federal, Ship's Inn, Oran Mor, Pearl, Boarding House, the Club Car or maybe Company of the Cauldron (the latter does a fixed menu, which may or may not be a seafood dish). They're all within a few blocks of each other.

Denver, Colorado
2. Re: 3-Day Nantucket Stay

Thanks for the info! We're planning on staying at the Veranda House... the reviews look to be great on TA. Do you think it will be too chilly that time of year to do the beach? If not, can you recommend a good one, with maybe a little town to explore? What are your thoughts on the Island tours?

Chester, NJ
reviews: 10
3. Re: 3-Day Nantucket Stay

The beach will be a toss-up. The weather is pretty variable, even in the summer (this is true for the east coast in general). On average, the ocean should be about like it is in late June: somewhat cooler than August, but still OK for swimming (68-70F). The weather should still be warm, too, but not hot. How comfortable you'll be will depend a lot on the wind and how sunny it is. September tends to be fairly clear and dry.

The beach shuttles stop after Labor Day, but they're still running to Madaket and Sconset, which are two of the main beaches. You can walk to the Jetties Beach from where you're staying. That leaves only Surfside among the main beaches, which you'd need to bicycle to or take a cab to (about 3 miles from town). Madaket and Surfside are sunnier (they face south), but also may be windier. See www.nantucket.net for a description of the beaches. I don't remember whether there'll be any rest room facilities after Labor Day.

There are only two towns: the main town near where you're staying and Sconset, at the far eastern end. Sconset is a good place to visit for sightseeing, but doesn't have much in the way of shops or eateries (I think the Summer House usually closes its restaurants after Labor Day, but that may change from year to year).

After 30+ years of going to Nantucket, I can't say anything about the tours, since we no longer need anyone to show us around. Others have recommended them, though. Check back trough earlier posts on this forum about "things to do on Nantucket" - there have been tour recommendations.

Denver, Colorado
4. Re: 3-Day Nantucket Stay

Great, thanks! I'll check those postings out!

NYC
5. Re: 3-Day Nantucket Stay

For the first time in about 20 years ill be going to "ACK" after labor day as well. having been the last 20 years in August i can tell you that it is definitely the high season and apparently five minutes after labor day the place is empty.

Weather should be great, it is never hot in nantucket and September is usually dryer and a tad cooler, nights are beautiful you can wear shorts and sweaters. Nantucket is easily one of my favorite places in the world and you will have the island relatively to yourself, i would recommend bikes and or scooters if you don't take your car over (try Young's Bike shop right off the ferry) and explore the island at will, go to Madaket, Surfside, Cisco, Sankaty Light House, and for calmer slightly warmer water go to Dionis Beach. Take Cliff road to Eel Point Road to Dionis Beach Road (8-10 mins from town). Most of all try and relax, have a few cocktails and don't worry about weather.

6. Re: 3-Day Nantucket Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, February 11, 2010