We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to go to see Northen Lights?

Kidderminster...
When to go to see Northen Lights?

I'd love to go to Greenland to see the Northen Lights. Can anyone has any tips when is the best time to go there and where to stay (cheapest option).

Cheers

Durham, United...
1. Re: When to go to see Northen Lights?

When is between about October and March/April. Cheap and Greenland don't go together, but the cheapest way to get there from the UK is to fly to Reykjavik and then to the east coast (Kulusuk/Tasiilaq), though they're not the the best places for NL.

Kangerlussuaq is probably the best place to see northern lights, because it's got a stable (and cold - below -40C last year) climate in winter, but to get there you need to fly to Copenhagen, stay a night, then fly to Kangerlussuaq.

You'd be lucky to find a return fare for under £1000, basic hotel rooms in Greenland are £100+ per night, food is pricey, getting round is expensive. If you just want to see the lights, Iceland is much cheaper to get to (and a bit cheaper once you're there too, since the economic crash). It's a pretty amazing place too, thought not quite as awe inspiring as Greenland

Kidderminster...
2. Re: When to go to see Northen Lights?

Thank you for your advice. It is very helpful.

Regards

Derby, United...
3. Re: When to go to see Northen Lights?

Hi there. Hope your well. I too have a dream of visiting greenland.....on a budget of course. I have been to iceland twice but greenland is next. Im a single traveller so wondered if you knew of any single person travel groups going to greenland from the UK? Many thanks. :)

Edited: 6:15 pm, December 19, 2012
Mumbai...
reviews: 4
4. Re: When to go to see Northen Lights?

Hi,

We are vegetarian from india planning to travel of greenland and to see the northern lights. Should we plan our trip through copenhagen. Are these goods hotels or apartments with a kitchenet. Problem is we are pure vegetariaans snd will be travelling with a three year old baby

Many thanks in advance.

Mumbai...
reviews: 4
5. Re: When to go to see Northen Lights?

Hi,

We are vegetarian from india planning to travel of greenland and to see the northern lights. Should we plan our trip through copenhagen. Are these goods hotels or apartments with a kitchenet. Problem is we are pure vegetariaans snd will be travelling with a three year old baby

Many thanks in advance.

Durham, United...
6. Re: When to go to see Northen Lights?

I just posted something in the thread "Greenland May 2013" that may help. Vegetarian food isn't common (or really understood) in Greenland, but you'll get by, especially if you self cater.

If you just want to see the Northern Lights, Iceland might be a better bet - it's cheaper to get to, cheaper to stay, and not as cold in winter (which may be a factor with a 3 year old - I'm not sure if s/he would like -30C). Iceland's a pretty amazing place too.

7. Re: When to go to see Northen Lights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, January 06, 2014