We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Annapolis area

Which Annapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
england
reviews: 26
Best place to stay in Annapolis area

Hi can anyone recommend the best hotel to stay in for a 3 night break in July? We would like a hotel with a pool (preferably outdoors as I'm sure it will be hot!) and within driving distance of Annapolis attractions. This will be the last 3 nights of a touring holiday, we will already have been to New York, Philly and WDC so just want some down time before flying back to the UK from BWI.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
reviews: 40
1. Re: Best place to stay in Annapolis area

There is a Marriott which is right downtown.

Also a Loews and Westin which are about a mile from the dock area but have shuttles (I know lLoews does, believe Westin does.)

Never stayed overnight, just been to other functions so never had time to look for pools. You can check them out from the lodging pages to the left.

If you want something different and little special, may want to check out Historic Inns of Annapolis

Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 21
2. Re: Best place to stay in Annapolis area

Marriott is by far the most centrally located, but I don't think they have a pool. Westin looks nicer, but is a bit further from downtown.

Personally, I'd rather stay at a B&B...more intimate experience. Annapolis has several B&B's downtown that look nice from the outside. Being a local I've never stayed at any of them, so I can't say what they're like inside.

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 207
3. Re: Best place to stay in Annapolis area

Annapolis is a very compact area, so even the hotels that are on the outskirts of the historical center are just minutes away, but will require a drive. The following hotels have pools: Springhill Suites, Westin, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn & Suites, Doubletree, Country Inn, Sheraton, Residence Inn, Courtyard, Best Western. All of these are chains, but respectable. Some are more discount no frills places, others like Westin, Sheraton, and Doubletree are full service properties.

Westin is the only one officially in the historic district (still a nice walk to all attractions). The other hotels, however, are also centrally located in the major shooping/restaurant mecca of Parole (the name of the area). Abundant stores, eateries, theaters, markets etc, are right there.

Annapolis, Maryland
4. Re: Best place to stay in Annapolis area

There are many hotels in the Annapolis area so it really comes down to personal preference with regard to location, price, amenities, etc.

The following places are in or within walking distance of the historic/tourist district of Annapolis and tend to be more expensive (this does not include inns or B&Bs). None of these have outdoor pools but the Westin has an indoor pool.

Marriott (only waterfront hotel right in the heart of town)

Loews

O'Callaghan's

Westin*

*Often people describe the Westin as not walking distance to the historic district, but it depends on what you consider walking distance. It is 1/2 mile from the Main Street of Annapolis and is located on a main thoroughfare with lots of restaurants and shops. It is definitely walkable for anyone in fine health, but they also have a free shuttle for those who don't want to walk or drive.

The following hotels are typical chain hotels and are located on the outskirts of town (the historic district) but close to shopping and restaurants. They are generally all in the same area (just blocks from each other) and about a 10 minute drive to historic district. I can't vouch for which might be "better" than the other b/c it has been years since we have used any of them for guests. I've noted the ones that have outdoor pools.

Hilton Garden Inn (outdoor)

Hampton Inn (outdoor)

Doubletree Inn (outdoor)

Residence Inn (outdoor)

Marriott Courtyard

Springhill Suites

Just on the other side of the main highway through Annapolis are the Sheraton and Country Inn and Suites. They are located close to a very large indoor mall/shopping center and depending on when you visit, there can be a lot of traffic in that area.

Annapolis, Maryland
5. Re: Best place to stay in Annapolis area

One other place you might consider, if you are looking for a place to relax away from the hustle and bustle, is the Kent Manor Inn (http://www.kentmanor.com/) on Kent Island. It is just across the Bay Bridge (first exit over the bridge) from Annapolis, on Kent Island. It's a beautiful old inn on the water. The restaurant is fabulous, the grounds are gorgeous and there is an outdoor pool in a setting that is so much nicer than any of the chain hotels you will find in Annapolis. It is a 20 minute drive to Annapolis. You can easily drive into Annapolis for sightseeing, shopping and dinner (or eat back at the Inn) then head back to the more scenic and relaxing inn.

I have never stayed in the rooms there, but we had our wedding reception there 16 years ago. We still go back to the restaurant for special occasions as the food is excellent. It's a hidden gem. Seeing that you will be touring several big cities and want a place to relax before you head back home, this would be a wonderful place for that, while being close enough to Annapolis if you want to sightsee there as well. Kent Manor Inn is about 45 minutes from BWI Airport.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 33
6. Re: Best place to stay in Annapolis area

Hi Sue10, I hope my response is not to late for your travels...we have stayed in three different hotels in the Annapolis area and I would recommend all three. Springhill Suites is very nice and includes a great breakfast buffet. The pool is small and indoors but very clean. It was a bit further from downtown. We stayed at the Best Western which also offers a breakfast buffet, although not as extensive as Springhill. The pool here is on the outside and was very nice also. This hotel is small and more of a motel feel but kept clean. We also stayed at the Sheraton. There pool is on the inside but surronded on three sides by glass doors. Since we were here in the winter I am not sure if they opened. All three places had lifeguards on duty. This hotel is across the street from the Annapolis Mall which has a lot of stores with a few upscale chains. Also close by are a few restaurants that would do in a pinch. I did read negative comments about the noise factor at the Sheraton but we weren't bothered. The staff here were very accomodating and friendly. None of the places were in down town but I believe the Sheraton had a shuttle service. I had no complaints about any of these places. Whatever you decision, I hope you enjoy your stay.

7. Re: Best place to stay in Annapolis area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 13, 2014