We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best restaurants in Annapolis...depends on what you want

Which Annapolis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Annapolis
reviews: 2
best restaurants in Annapolis...depends on what you want

I was just reviewing the "best" restaurants in Annapolis on this siter and thinking how difficult it would be for an outsider to use these ratings to decide since the restaurants vary greatly from pizza places to crab houses, to delis to tourist traps to chains to excellent/ fine dining. Also some weird or unknown ones made it high on the list!!

As an Annapolitan and frequent eater, here are my suggestions for fine /good dining for couples/ small groups (older children): O'Leary's, Les Follies, Jalapenos, Yin Yankee, Joss, Tsunami, Metropolitan, Lemongrass, Indias, Wild Orchid, Piccola Roma., Kyma, Lewnes. You'll have a decent, perhaps excellent meal at any of these establishments. Call for reservations - definitely call on weekends..

For casual dining:: Boatyard, Carrolls Creek, Pauls, Rams Head, Squisitos (several locations).

Avoid restaurants near the water unless the view is all that counts.

Many of the other places on the ranked list are overpriced tourist traps.

NJ
11. Re: best restaurants in Annapolis...depends on what you want

Speaking of 'overpriced tourist traps' - I would put Piccola roma on Main Street at the top of the list!! Waste of money - they certainly do not depend on repeat business. Can't imagine who would want to go here twice!

annapolis, md
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
reviews: 239
12. Re: best restaurants in Annapolis...depends on what you want

Papeet-

I think Harris Crab House is a good choice for crabs. The Narrows gets pretty good reviews but you may want to also look into Julia's in Centreville, which gets pretty high scores in the latest Zagat guide. Menu is "New American" and it is owned and operated by a husband and wife team. Some of the best Eastern Shore cuisine can be found in Easton....don't know if you want to drive the 1/2 hour or so to get there. Recommendations: Inn at Easton, Restaurant Local, Mason's,Out of the Fire, and Scossa (Italian).

Not a whole lot happening where you are at. Mostly things center on water activities, nature preserves, and eating. You can check out Horsehead Wetlands Center, Wye Island Natural Resource Area, Adkins Arboretum, Matapeake Trail and Pier, Tuckahoe State Park, and more. You may want to cross the bridge and go to Annapolis, but only if you really have the time. There you can visit numerous historical sites, the Naval Academy, the Maryland State House, and of course the famous harbor.

AnnapolisMD
reviews: 1
13. Re: best restaurants in Annapolis...depends on what you want

I agree with the last poster. Easton has some great food. The Inn at Easton is really good and highly rated. Scossas is also a very good bet.

Annapolis
14. Re: best restaurants in Annapolis...depends on what you want

I can highly recommend the newly opened Morton's steakhouse in the Park Place complex. For crabcakes O'Leary's is your best bet. I have to disagree with the comments about Lewnes; the last few times we were there we were extremely disappointed with the food and the service was not that great either. For casual dining we love the Boatyard - best chicken tenders ever. Davis' in Eastport is also always good.

Another good upscale place is the Treaty of Paris - since the new chef started it's very good.

AnnapolisMD
reviews: 1
15. Re: best restaurants in Annapolis...depends on what you want

Do you think the new Morton's is worth the extra cost compared to the other steak houses in town? I looked at the menu and it seemed like it was 10-20% higher than Ruth's Chris and Lewnes.

Annapolis, MD
reviews: 19
16. Re: best restaurants in Annapolis...depends on what you want

A new restaurant in Annapolis that's opened just within the last month which I'd highly recommended, based on last night's experience, is the Greystone Grill; located in the new office building off the circle at West Street, Spa Drive and Taylor Avenue near the car wash.

I'd driven by it hundreds of times while the building was under construction, but wasn't sure whether it was just a 'lunch spot' for the office crowd or not. Last night, without first having read any reviews in the local 'crab wrapper', I proposed checking it out to a couple good friends.

We parked in the building's garage for free. The restaurant is rather upscale with muted decor, indirect lighting and jazz music piped in. We were dressed very casually in jeans and sneakers (I don't care to 'dress up' for dinner in 'naptown myself), but the staff didn't blink an eye and offered us a choice of a table or a booth.

We ordered a nice bottle of Australian Shiraz for about $31. For an appetizer we chose the Calamari Rockefeller, which was suprisingly good - a generous serving, spiced just right, certainly not the typical "fried rubber bands" one might get in some places.

We also tried the Blue Crab And Corn soup. I'm very particular about crab soups (preferring cream-based myself). Again, the portion (bowl-sized) was generous. There was enough Old Bay seasoning to spice it up w/o being overpowering. A little more crabmeat might have helped, but there was enough there to get some with each spoonful. This ranked as one of the better crab soups I've tasted in the area, ranking up there with the Old Stein Inn's crab & cheese soup.

For entrees I chose the Filet Mignon Napoleon; my companions chose the Ahi Tuna and the Veal Chop. I wasn't hungry enough for a whole steak and expected the Filet Mignon Napoleon, since it was advertised as "medallions" along with potatoes and vegetables, to be less meat than a regular steak order. What I received was four 'medallions', done medium rare just as ordered, which even though I only pecked at the veggies was too much meat for me to finish.

The Ahi Tuna came out as a fist-sized portion, so large and thick I first thought she'd been mistakenly served a filet mignon. My friend declared it excellent even though she refused to share any with me - I suppose that's a good recommendation as any.<g>

Likewise, my other companion's Veal Chop was huge, tender, and seasoned perfectly. The veal went unshared as well - I should pick my dinner companions better. I DID manage to snag a bite or two of her side dish: mashed sweet potatoes. Not sure what they used to season it with but it tasted addictive, and I'm not usually partial to sweet potatoes.

The waitress was very attentive (though we did have to ask for bread). The manager also made the rounds of the tables, soliciting opinions from us and the other diners. Total meal for three people, including the excellent wine, came out to about $150. That was, IMO, very reasonable for a new, upscale restaurant in Annapolis.

Maryland
reviews: 52
17. Re: best restaurants in Annapolis...depends on what you want

Harris' is a good, traditional crab house. We will cross the bridge from Annapolis to go to Harris' for crabs (although not on weekends in the summer when it's mobbed). I love The Narrows, but it's much more upscale, white tablecloths, flowers on the table, beautiful view. If you have time for both, do both. There's nothing else worth considering on Kent Island, in my opinion.

18. Re: best restaurants in Annapolis...depends on what you want

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 12, 2009