We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canal Tours

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 81
Canal Tours

Am looking to do a partial Canal tranit tour in Feb (somewhere between Feb 5 -7). Any recommendations on which one to take or not to take?

I am aware of:

Panama Marine

Bay and Canal

Anton Excursions

Hotel has suggested Panama Marine over Bay and Canal. Don't know anything on Anton.

Thank you

6 replies to this topic
Haslett, Michigan
reviews: 53
1. Re: Canal Tours

I would suggest Panama Marine. We did a partial transit with Bay and Canal in September and it was terrible. It was the only thing we did not enjoy while we were in Panama. They had no record of our prepaid reservations when we arrivied. The boat was completely open and if it rains you will get soaked. The boat that they highlight on their website is not the boat that they used. They packed people on the boat. There was no safety briefing or emergency directions, and no life jackets visible.The crew was not friendly or helpful and acted like they hated their jobs. The food was horrible. I did a review under the "Things To Do" section that you can look at for more details.

We saw the boat that Panama Marine uses in Flamenco Marina and it looked very nice. It has enclosed decks with protection in case it rains. You can see it on their website.

Toronto
reviews: 37
2. Re: Canal Tours

Hi there, just arrived in PC today and am curious what you opted to do for your canal tour? Is it worth doing a transit tour or just stick to visitor center? Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
reviews: 10
3. Re: Canal Tours

The best part of a full or partial transit of the Canal is being able to say that you're done it. The best way to see the Canal, the locks and understand how they work, along with the Canal's history, is by going to the Miraflores visistors' center and the museum. Even if you "lock up," you'll miss a lot by not going to Miraflores.

Haslett, Michigan
reviews: 53
4. Re: Canal Tours

I do not agree with gb-williams. I think that both Miraflores Locks and the canal tour are very worthwhile, especially if you are really interested in the canal and the construction of the canal. The canal tour provides a different perspective on how the locks work. It also provides a perspective on the huge amount of excavation that had to take place to construct the canal. The passage through the Culebra Cut if particularly amazing. Also, I think the efforts to widen the canal are still ongoing and the canal transit provides a view of the dredges and other equipment involved in that effort.

5. Re: Canal Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:51 am, May 26, 2014

Houston, Texas
6. Re: Canal Tours

How can this be done panamatravel? speaking with locals? around where?

Reply to: Canal Tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted