We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with 2 Small Children

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 4
Traveling with 2 Small Children

Hi all. Just a couple of questions regarding a trip idea my husband and I are interested in.

About 5 years ago, my husband and I went to Costa Rica for a week and had a FABULOUS time. We absolutely loved it. We saw so much, loved the people, felt perfectly safe the entire time, and would do it again in a heartbeat.

5 years later, we have 2 small kids and we take them everywhere we go. We took them on a two week road trip through Europe last fall and loved it, wouldn't have changed a thing. That being said, please don't answer this post by saying "leave your kids at home" - that won't be helpful at all!

There is a Marriott in Rio Hato that we can get an amazing rate at. We are thinking of flying into Panama City and renting a car, spending plenty of time at the resort, with small day trips on the side.

My questions are about safety. 1) If we're careful, not going into dark places at night, or wandering off into places we're unfamiliar with, are we likely to avoid trouble? (Robberies, tourist issues, etc) We felt very safe in CR, Aruba, Europe, but I always want to see what people have experienced. We want to choose a place that will not compromise the safety of our family in any way. What is the general crime difference between CR and Panama? It may sound naive, but it borders Columbia, what about drug crime?

2) If we're staying mainly between Panama City and Rio Hato, with small day trips, are we likely to come into any health issues? (malaria and such?) Assuming we'll be drinking only bottled water, wearing repellent, and eating at the best places we can find? I read an article about flies in panama and diseases they may carry. We didn't have any extra shots to travel to CR but Panama is further south, will we encounter any of these things?

Please share ANY information you have! The more you share, the better! Once I figure out safety, I'll have more questions about what to do and where to go. Thank you in advance!

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 1
1. Re: Traveling with 2 Small Children

I have no answer to your question but want to say- Yea You! I traveled with my 3 kids from the time they were 0,4,5 all over the world. Around the world, in fact. And the two older ones already had ADD. Were there moments? Absolutely. But fewer than if we had been at home. And 20 years later they still love travel.

Now- back to your questions.

Madrid, Spain
reviews: 11
2. Re: Traveling with 2 Small Children

My impression is that Panama is pretty safe - possibly safer than Costa Rica - especially if you stay to the more touristed areas (which is much of the country).

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 4
3. Re: Traveling with 2 Small Children

Love that you traveled with your little ones as well, and so glad they still enjoy traveling. We love it and know it will only benefit the kiddos in the future!

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 1
4. Re: Traveling with 2 Small Children

Must be something about Denver!

5. Re: Traveling with 2 Small Children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 10, 2014