We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exit Fees for Layover

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 4
Exit Fees for Layover

Can someone can please clarify this for me? I have a 14 hour layover in Panama city en route from US to Ecuador. I plan to stay at the Riande airport hotel nearby. Do I have to pay fees to exit the airport as I read on another website? I am taking an electronic item carryon. Can I store this at the airport somewhere at the airport for pickup the next day? Thanks. Airline is COPA.

Madrid, Spain
reviews: 12
1. Re: Exit Fees for Layover

What other website ? Why not ask them ? I think any fees are included in the tickets anyway.

Olympia, Washington
reviews: 116
2. Re: Exit Fees for Layover

When leaving from PTY your fees are included in your airline tickets to leave Panama. It has nothing to do with leaving the airport. What other site are you referring too? I think beardocubauk and I need to go there and fix a few errors they are telling people...

Storage of items at the airport is not possible. Never seen a locker there and I don't think I would do that anyway. Take it with you.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
reviews: 11
3. Re: Exit Fees for Layover

Wait a minute, Florence ....

A) entry fees/exit taxes are ONLY applied to airfares that terminate in Panama. If you are in transit, ie. changing flights in Panama, NO TOURIST VISAS NOR EXIT TAXES ARE APPLIED TO THE TICKET.

In mind of that ...

B) immigration will VERY RARELY ask you to pay the tourist visa fee of $5. And, unless you're crossing at the border of Costa Rica, very rarely will anyone ask you to pay the $45 exit tax.

That said, it's a good idea to have $50 U.S. on you ... just in case, since they don't accept checks, visa or American Express.

Madrid, Spain
reviews: 12
4. Re: Exit Fees for Layover

I can't imagine that a 14 hour layover would be expected to stay in the airport that whole time.

Edited: 1:57 am, December 29, 2012
5. Re: Exit Fees for Layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 31, 2013