We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

36 hrs layover in PTY- pls help with itinerary

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
reviews: 11
36 hrs layover in PTY- pls help with itinerary

Hi folks, wife and I will be having a ~36 hrs layover in PTY. Arrive in PTY at ~10am and leave 9pm the next day.

I've found this 3-day trip

tripadvisor.com/Guide-g294480-l476-Panama_Ci…

So I was wondering basically following this with day 2 kicked out.

Our trip will be day 1 arrive PTY, check in the hotel and Panama Canal (pm) and day 2 The Old City (Casco Viejo) and area around, check out and leave.

We may only access some highlights because of limited time. Does this sound good for first time PTY visitors?

oh one more thing is we'll be arriving on xmas. will Panama Canal visitor center run on that day?

Thanks in advance!

Madrid, Spain
reviews: 12
1. Re: 36 hrs layover in PTY- pls help with itinerary

Your plan sounds fine to me.

Miraflores says that it is open holidays: www.pancanal.com/eng/anuncios/cvm/index.html

Miami, Florida
2. Re: 36 hrs layover in PTY- pls help with itinerary

Thanks beardocubauk.

Do you think it's necessary to take a private tour or consider grayline half-day/full-day trip? I'm a little bit concerned about the safety issue in PTY.

Willemstad, Curacao
reviews: 85
3. Re: 36 hrs layover in PTY- pls help with itinerary

Your initerary sounds good. You will have time to walk around in casco viejo. You could also do Panama Viejo if you are interested in the ruins.

Panama is quiet safe if you use your common sense. I would only take a tour for the guide who may explain you what you want to see but not for safety reasons. Miraflores will be packed with people anyway and Casco Viejo has plenty of police on the streets.

Miami, Florida
4. Re: 36 hrs layover in PTY- pls help with itinerary

Thanks Curtraveller!

One more question: I'm planning to shoot some photos for us with a big DSLR camera (Canon T3i) and a tripod.. sounds little silly ha. Or just bring a little $80ish digital camera and ask other visitors for help shooting. again, safety is a concern when bringing expensive stuff. i may think about it before heading to PTY.

Willemstad, Curacao
reviews: 85
5. Re: 36 hrs layover in PTY- pls help with itinerary

Hi Andy, during day times it is not a problem bringing that to canal zone and Casco Viejo.. There are plenty people on the streets. Only between the canal zone and casco viejo is a rough area where you should not walk! especially not with expensive stuff. Take a taxi for that part (which is cheap). I would not walk at night in casco viejo with expensive cameras but during the day it is no problem.

BTW if you have some time go to Causeway. Nice views of the city (perhaps for dinner).

Miami, Florida
6. Re: 36 hrs layover in PTY- pls help with itinerary

Thanks for the causeway advice! I will definitely check it out

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 8
7. Re: 36 hrs layover in PTY- pls help with itinerary

Regarding the camera gear -- I'd bring both a dSLR and point & shoot. Use the dSLR yourself, and then break out the point & shoot when you want someone else to take a picture for you. That's what I did! It may be easier for some people to operate a point & shoot anyway.

If you don't need a full tripod, I've found Gorillapods to be useful for travel in the past.

Miami, Florida
8. Re: 36 hrs layover in PTY- pls help with itinerary

Thanks bringing me a Gorillapods idea! I will look it up on amazon or ebay. Or maybe I could just bring a point & shoot and a tripod. Sometimes found the DSLR too heavy to carry on.

9. Re: 36 hrs layover in PTY- pls help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Panama City