We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking tour in Casco Viejo?

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 16
Walking tour in Casco Viejo?

Can anyone make recommendation on walking tours of Casco Viejo? I know there are plenty of all day or half day tours of the city which include this area, but I don't like to be rushed and I really enjoy hearing the history of the area.

thanks

25 replies to this topic
Panama City, Panama
reviews: 20
1. Re: Walking tour in Casco Viejo?

I live in Casco Viejo and would be happy to email you the self-guided walking tour I use with our houseguests. Just put "Walking Tour of Casco Viejo" in your subject line so if it goes to my SPAM folder I will respond without deleting.

Maryroush7@hotmail.com

Long Island NY
reviews: 168
2. Re: Walking tour in Casco Viejo?

We just spent 6 days in Casco Viejo. Go with a self guided tour (audio or paper) and wander.

Panama City, Panama
reviews: 28
3. Re: Walking tour in Casco Viejo?

I honestly would rather to use a guide´s service.......this is only because casco viejo is under serious renovations right now....many streets are closed and you might not know how to get to cool places.....

either way...dont miss visiting the following:

ALTAR DE ORO

ARCHO CHATO

PANAMA CANAL MUSEUM

PLAZA DE FRANCIA

AND THE PRESIDENTIAL HOUSE......(PALACIO DE LAS GARZAS)

hope this helps....

pty_edy

Chicago
4. Re: Walking tour in Casco Viejo?

Thanks for your replies, especially Maryroush. Does anyone know any great guides for Casco Viejo?

Panama City, Panama
5. Re: Walking tour in Casco Viejo?

If you don't count me (I give free "walkabouts" of Casco - it's a hobby sort of thing) the best way to get a good guide that knows Casco Viejo is to stop at the "Oficina del Casco Antiguo" on the corner of Avenida "A" and Calle 3. The tour is free - but you should give the local guide a tip ($5 - $10 per person).

If you'd like to join me for a "walkabout" send me a PM.

Enjoy Casco and Panama.

Steve www.panamanotes.com

Chicago
6. Re: Walking tour in Casco Viejo?

Steve, Thanks again. We went back to Casco just before leaving and felt like experts.

reviews: 11
7. Re: Walking tour in Casco Viejo?

Mary..am really interested in your walking tour..have tried to email 2xs..will try again! Still on the fence about where to stay in CV..what do you think, really would like to stay under $150 per night, a/c and king size bed..Casco Antiguia or Magnolia Inn..or somewhere else ..little concerned about noise..were the early to bed early to rise type..LOL Also.... What would you recommend for authentic, fabulous seafood?? Am thinking of booking a 1/2 passage of the canal with Barefoot Panama. Any and all words of wisedom are welcome!! Thanks!! Sara

Panama City, Panama
reviews: 20
8. Re: Walking tour in Casco Viejo?

Sara,

Please email me directly (maryroush7@hotmail.com) and I will send you my walking tour. Put: REQUEST FOR WALKING TOUR in the subject line so I will fish your email out of my SPAM folder. I can also send you links to the Canal transit that our house guests took and enjoyed. Actually, let me share it with you:

http://www.canalandbaytours.com/eng/index.php

As far as places to stay, if you want an apt. w/kitchen, the the Casa Antigua apts. are quite nice and well-priced (less than other by-night apts. at Casa Sucre and Los Cuatro Tulipanes. We had guests last week who stayed there--as they numbered more than we could accommodate in our guest room--and we toured their apt. Quite nice and a good value.) If you just need a room, the Magnolia Inn is less expensive and VERY nice. We know the owners, Cherie and Reggie, and they will ensure you have a good stay. It's a great value.

Anyway, I'd be happy to correspond with you and answer any questions you might have.

new jersey
reviews: 6
9. Re: Walking tour in Casco Viejo?

Hi Mary, can I email you asking for a request of the walking tour? Thanks.

reviews: 11
10. Re: Walking tour in Casco Viejo?

Thanks Steve for all your great info..we'll be staying in Campulta....looks wonderful, based on your recommendation. Thanks for the tour offer..presently we have the afternoon in PC the day we fly in and the next day our canal tour then down the coast for a week...so don't have alot of time.

Am really looking forward to some warm sunny beaches....looking at a beautiful winter wonderland here in Chicago out my window this am!! LOL Thanks again for all your time!!

Oh...really would like to find a great authenic Panamanian seafood restaurant?? Or any great places to eat would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks Sara

Reply to: Walking tour in Casco Viejo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted