We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica vs. Panama & CR

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berkeley, California
Costa Rica vs. Panama & CR

Hi! We are two semi-adventurous females in our mid-twenties. We have 2-3 weeks and are trying to decide between going just to CR or going to both CR and Panama. We will be headed there in July, and are hoping to get a good mix of adventure (hiking, ziplining, volcanoes), history, beaches, and culture/locals. We speak Spanish and hope to use it! We will probably be staying in hostel-type places or cheaper places (we're not the all-inclusive types).

If you have any strong opinions, we'd love to hear them! Places to visit, types of transportation, places NOT to visit...THANK YOU!!!

South Wales UK
reviews: 2
1. Re: Costa Rica vs. Panama & CR

Hi we went to CR 3 years ago and just returned from Panama. CR is more expensive but I have to say that Matapalo on the Osa is my most favourite place ever. Gorgeous beaches wildlife everywhere - we saw all the monkeys, toucans, tapir, sloth and anteater. Arenal volcano and surrounding area also amazing. Panama less touristy and overall had nicer beaches especially as there are loads of islands you can pop to - works out cheap in water taxi if there is a group of you. more chance to use spanish in Panama as many of restaurants owned by locals who do not speak english - but their food always better and cheaper than us owner places.

Both places have great ziplines we did the sky trek in arenal which was amazing.

Both places we did not do carribean side just middle and pacific coast but

I hear beaches are the best in both on carribean side. Hope this is of some help and which ever you choose you will have an amazing time:-)

reviews: 1
2. Re: Costa Rica vs. Panama & CR

I have one thing to suggest. Just do it. Really the buses from Panama and CR are cheap and quick, very well organized. If you have a day jump over to Panama, has many cool places. you may just notice a huge price difference on what you will being paying in CR. CR costs twice as much as Panama. Just don't get taken by any of the Duty free shops. They are a rip off.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
reviews: 115
3. Re: Costa Rica vs. Panama & CR

Panama is much cheaper, I would recommend both. You could easily do Arenal, Puerto Viejo and Bocas Del Toro. Check into flying into San Jose and then out of Panama City. Often it is cheaper to do it that way. I just booked my flight with delta and it was $45 cheaper to fly into PTY and out of SJO then to fly in and out of SJO or PTY. I have been doing CR and Panama together for the past 4 years.

4. Re: Costa Rica vs. Panama & CR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, June 20, 2013