We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay????

Which Panama City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central British...
where to stay????

Hi There, Looking for a place to stay in Panama on the Pacific coast. Prefer to be walking distance to local shops and restaurants, must have ocean view with good beach nearby. Would be nice to be right on a beach. Not interested in all inclusive resort type places. Would like to be in 4 star type accomodations. Really like some of the older victorian styling that I have seen in some of the pics like the Hotel Deville and The Bristol.

Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
reviews: 69
1. Re: where to stay????

A 4-star hotel with victorian styling on or near the beach. I think you are out of luck. There are non-inclusives that are on the beach however nothing that would compare to the Bristol.

Maybe Andrew G or Borracho has some ideas what would come close.

The hotels on the Pacific side tend to be some what isolated, there may be a small town to walk to but nothing compared to the restaurants and shopping around PC.

I will add though that it nice to see a Canadian heading somewhere other than the Decameron.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 9
2. Re: where to stay????

I think the problem that I see is the notion that Panama city and the beaches are from walking distance from each other. Not the case. The beach area by Panama City is not swimmable. The closest thing to a near-city hotel which has a beach is:

http://www.playabonitapanama.com/ It's a very nice hotel and it should be about 30 minutes (or slightly more) from Panama City proper. I can't think of any options within PTY.

If you want to be in the beach, you have to go about 40 minutes to an hour out of Panama City. I suggest you split your trip in two, a couple of days in Pma City and then head to the beach.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
3. Re: where to stay????

There are no places right on the beach, close to shops and restaurants with your requirements.

The closest possibility would be Coronado Golf Resort - not right on the beach, no ocean view but only 5 minute shuttle bus to beach club. Great pool area and shops and other restaurants are nearby.

Even in the city, there are only a couple of hotels with any sort of ocean view and certainly none on are any beach.

Cheers,

Andrew

Whitesboro, New York
reviews: 22
4. Re: where to stay????

Sorry anywhere but as soon as you start saying things like "must" you are going to limit yourself considerably in Panama. I concur with CDY in that its refreshing seeing a Canadian on here not asking what size hairdryers they have at the Decameron - LOL.

Playa Bonia is the best you may do so look there..

Central British...
5. Re: where to stay????

Thanks for the thoughts, we are giving some serious consideration to spliting up our time as suggested. My interests are the Culture, History, Art and Nature of the country. My wife's interests are shopping, beach lounging, suntaning, horse back riding. I would like to get one day of deep sea fishing in as well. We would like to see the Canal and the locks. We are planning for one week in the middle of April. Any further suggestions?

6. Re: where to stay????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, September 22, 2009