We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Footwear

Which Panama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 2
Footwear

Hi, all. We're heading to Panama for a couple weeks.

Any footwear tips for Boquete and Bocas del Toro?

In Bocas, I expect we'll do at least a couple jungle trail hikes, and of course visit some beaches. In Boquete, we plan to do at least a one day or half day hike.

Having a hard time deciding whether or not to lug my hiking boots. Also, I don't own sport sandals --- are these advisable?

Right now I'm leaning towards:

- "hipster" black running shoes for bars and restaurants (and Panama City);

- old beat up running shoes for hiking and boat trips,

- water shoes (light and compressable); and

- light flip flops (which I can only wear for short periods of time without getting blisters).

I know this probably seems like a dumb thing to ask about, but we are trying to travel as light as possible and I just don't know what'll be needed given the locales and the activities we'll be doing. I love my hiking boots but they take up a lot of space and weight So if I'm not really going to need them it seems silly to bring them.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Olympia, Washington
reviews: 117
1. Re: Footwear

You will need your hiking boots. You don't say when you are coming. There will be more rain during certain times of the year so that will determine what you should bring.

In Boquete a good hiking boot or good hiking sneaker will work. For hiking the mountains or even doing a cocao tour you should have boots. Leave the flip flops home. Wear the hiking boots on the plane to save room in the suitcase and in the weight. If you can get a sports sandal and are comfortable in those get them. But the boot will serve you well.

I say this because depending on the time of year you come there will be mud everywhere when you are hiking so a boot will definately be more practical.

Toronto
2. Re: Footwear

Thanks so much, Florence --- that is very helpful. We're coming in a few weeks --- does your advice still hold?

Olympia, Washington
reviews: 117
3. Re: Footwear

I would say yes. I've been in some of the areas you are talking about and have worn things other than my boots and come home with mud everywhere. It's such a crap shoot unfortunately.

If you wear the sports sandals on the beach and the boots when hiking you should be okay for your trip.

I'm always comfort over fashion when I travel.

Have fun!

Ontario
reviews: 25
4. Re: Footwear

HI,

I would suggest a pair of "keens" They are a hiking/slash water shoe, available at any sporting store. Best investment we have made. Great treads for trails and double as the water shoe. Comfortable and saves quite a bite when it comes to packing.

Enjoy your trip

Toronto
5. Re: Footwear

Thanks, Florence and NNO. NNO, I'll check out MEC for the Keens. Problem is I have a widish foot and so I have a devil of a time finding anything that fits. If I recall correctly from past shopping efforts, Keens fit on the narrow side -- but I'll definitely see if it works this time. Thanks!

6. Re: Footwear

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 21, 2014