We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Decameron

Which Panama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scarboROUGH...
reviews: 3
Royal Decameron

hi,

just wondering if anyone could please answer the following questions:

1 - what kind of food is there, exactly? is there a good selection of seafood? any conch?

2 - how is the beach? good for swimming? any shells?

3 - how's the weather in early may? the forecast says all rain, but some of the posts say to ignore those warnings... and if it does rain, is there stuff to do?

4 - any recommended day trips/excursions?

5 - are there any websites for scuba diving places?

thanks so much!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: Royal Decameron

1) All kinds of food, including a very good selection of seafood. And if you want amazing lobster the word is that the place to go is this little restaurant about 2 minutes down the beach. (when facing the ocean turn right).

2) Beach is really nice, but not white sand like many caribbean beaches. It was fine for swimming as long as you pay attention to the warning flags on the beach and only go in when there is a small undertow. Plenty of shells.

3) Pay no attention to the forecasts. This part of Panama gets almost nothing but sun. We went for a week starting May 14 of last year and had amazing weather. On days that it does rain it only does so for about 15-20 minutes and then the sun is back out again.

4) Didn't do any day trips, but heard a lot of good things about them. Lots to choose from. Everything from shopping excursions to zip-lining from tree to tree in the rainforest.

5) Not sure if this is the best place for scuba. Water is not crystal clear like the caribbean, but on certain days it might be alright.

Bellevue, Kentucky
2. Re: Royal Decameron

1- Food- I agree with the previous post, plenty of food at a variety of restaraunts. Most seafood at the resort is fish with some shrimp dishes also. It seemed like there was conch but it was mostly mixed in the seafood dishes.

2- I love the beach but you do have to remember it is on the pacific side. The sand is darker and the water is not clear at all. It is ok to swim if the flags are not red. Most of the time the flags were yellow (caution) and you had to watch the undertow.

3- I have been in both high season and rainy season and found just a little difference in the weather. The Decameron is in an area that does not usually get rain but during rainy season you can get some quick hard downpours. I found that any rain that we did get did not really affect our trip, if it was during the day we either played board games in a dry area or played volleyball in the rain. If it rains at night it can affect the show in the evening but they do try to do something in the disco if that happens.

4- Did not do any day trips or excursions from Decameron since we have friends in Panama City and have been going to Panama for a while to visit them. We do a lot of sight seeing and excursions with them and then spend the rest of our time at Decameron. I would reccomend getting out of the resort to get the whole Panama experience.

5- Don't know much about scuba diving except that we could not snorkle on our trips because the water was too murky and i heard that a lot from other visitors.

Just an FYI- The Decameron has grown much in the past 5 years since I first started going there so be prepared for this, and remember it is a latin american resort so enjoy the culture and have patience with the staff if their English is minimal.