We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical/Health Insurance in Panama

Which Panama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Medical/Health Insurance in Panama

Does anyone have a list of Panamanian Health Insurance companies that serve the needs of expats living in Panama. I would like to purchase a policy as I and my husband will be moving to Panama in October 2012.

Thanks very much

Salt Lake City, Utah
reviews: 14
1. Re: Medical/Health Insurance in Panama

Your best bet is to consult with an insurance agent that can offer you a comparison between all the different companies. If you go to an agent that will only offer info on one company, keep shopping.

Private insurance companies from the U.S. and other countries will cover you in Panama, but of coarse Medicare will not. The problem is that, if you already have medicare, then you are 65 or older and you will not be able to obtain medical insurance in Panama.

The most well known local companies include ASSA (probably the most reputable local insurance company), Internacional de Seguros, MAPFRE, and a host of international companies with branches in Panama.

You have to be aware of the small print. They are VERY tough and will not cover pre-existing conditions. They will not cover most elective and some emergencies during the first year (gallstones for example).

Saint Louis...
2. Re: Medical/Health Insurance in Panama

Thank you very much for the information, I do happen to be on Medicare due to disability which resulted in early retirement. I am 60 with hypertension and bipolar disorder.

To your knowledge could I be covered after a waiting period (Long shot, I know)

Salt Lake City, Utah
3. Re: Medical/Health Insurance in Panama

I doubt that you´ll find coverage in Panama through a local insurance company. Some of them go through 65, but usually for people who already have had their plans for years. But who knows, you may be able to find one to cover you with some difficulty, but the coverage will likely be dropped after a certain age, usually 65 tops.

I would say, another option would be to put the money into a savings account for medical care, which is significantly lower than the U.S., familiarize yourself with the medical system, ask for guidance from your consulate, establish a relationship with an honest PCP that may guide you if you need hospital care. Another option would be to buy insurance in the u.s., on top of your medicare, if possible. You always have the option of traveling to the U.S. for bigger elective procedures, so that you can be covered by medicare.

Last option, public hospital.

Edited: 10:05 pm, August 04, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
4. Re: Medical/Health Insurance in Panama

You may find this interesting, although it´s 6 years old:

thepanamanews.com/pn/…opinion_11.html

Saint Louis...
5. Re: Medical/Health Insurance in Panama

Very interesting, indeed. I am guardedly optimistic that if I and my husband do our due diligence, we will find coverage adequate enough to live with. Thank you so very much for the research!!

Warm regards,

Lillian and Barrington

Jensen Beach...
reviews: 20
6. Re: Medical/Health Insurance in Panama

I am a Retired 73 old male in good health. Looking to perhaps make a move to Panama.

Before getting too excited, is there afordable Health Insurnace in Panama?

I understand Medical cost are quite low. I am concerned about the cost for caring for Major Health Problems.

7. Re: Medical/Health Insurance in Panama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 04, 2014