We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour

Which Panama hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 127
Tour

Has anyone ever taken this tour in Panama? Is it worth the $89 the cruise ship is asking for?

Board your air-conditioned transportation for the approximately one-hour drive through the rainforest to Panama City. Tour the ruins of the old capital city, founded in 1519 and later destroyed by buccaneer Sir Henry Morgan. Continue to Casco Antiguo, the old colonial city founded in 1673. See the historic Golden Altar; visit the cathedral square; and stroll historic Las Bovedas, a walkway whose walls are lined with an illustrated history of the French attempt to build a canal. Enjoy a light snack and a beverage before the return trip to the ship.

Panama City, Panama
reviews: 79
1. Re: Tour

No, I don't do organized tours - like to do it on our own and spend as much time as we can. But have done all the things on this tour which is quite easy to do without a tour guide and might be cheaper arranging on your own with a private driver. Not knowing where you will be coming from to PC, hard to tell. Are you staying somewhere isolated or on a ship? Where is the ship?

Florida
reviews: 127
2. Re: Tour

LN... we are going to be on a cruise to the Panama Canal that goes to Gatun Lake and from there you are taken on shore excursions. I heard that the ship will not let you get off unless you have a tour booked. This is the tour the ship is offering. Although we can book with private companies, I prefer to book with the ship because they have to wait for you if something happens. I have seen too many people left behind that went on their own, but I saw our ship wait for 1.5 hrs once because a ship tour was late coming back. This tour sounds very interesting. After the tour we have to wait for the ship at Cristobal Pier.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 62
3. Re: Tour

Sounds like you are docked in Colon. I think the $89 for the tour is too expensive, but as you say they will not leave without you.Have a look at operators in Panama and what they would charge for a similar trip. You could do it all yourself easily, just hire a taxi for the day, much cheaper.

4. Re: Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:23 am, August 23, 2009