We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see in Nicaragua - 1st week of April.

Which Nicaragua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 4
What to see in Nicaragua - 1st week of April.

My wife and I are going to Nicaragua the first week of April in 2014, prior going to Tahiti for 11 days.

We will fly in from Sweden to LA and then to Managua.

Were thinking of staying at the Hilton Princess in Managua

Should we stay the 7 nights the same hotel and make day trips?

Or should we stay one night in Granada?

Would very much appreciate to receive some advice what to see.

I don´t want to drive, can we hire a tour guide with a van maybe?

Any ideas are most welcome. Have not been in NIc before.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Bo

Chichiriviche...
reviews: 27
1. Re: What to see in Nicaragua - 1st week of April.

Hi

I would stay only one night in Managua...Managua has been completly destroid by a Eartquake in the 1970. There are very few things to see..what you can easy do in one day...I would go to Leon...the only authentic and colonial city from there you can do guided tours to some of the volcanos around and i would go also the Penitas Beach where you can exlplore a swamp reserve..(Turtles, Crocodiles and many birds)...Leon has many museums and the colonial architecure is nicer than in Granada you will not that especially if you visit the churches.

I recommend Leon instead of Granada because its a authenic Nica town not like Granada where is getting to touristy .Most Guide books recommend Granada as there is more Marketing done for Granada and its slighty closer to the Airport.

Cheers

Salta

2. Re: What to see in Nicaragua - 1st week of April.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:43 am, January 14, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
3. Re: What to see in Nicaragua - 1st week of April.

Salta, thank you very much for your info. Appreciate it a lot. Take care! /Bo

Stockholm, Sweden
4. Re: What to see in Nicaragua - 1st week of April.

Mike, thanks for your input and for promoting your B&B.

Cheers!

Bo

Capitola, California
reviews: 28
5. Re: What to see in Nicaragua - 1st week of April.

We just returned from one month travel in Nicaragua. We stayed the last 2 nights in Managua and we didn't like it at all. I think Granada is good for a night or two, but it's very "touristy" , visit Laguna De Apoyo, it's a beautiful place!

We too liked Leon better than Granada and our favorite town was Matagalpa, a nice town surrounded by green hills and with a little bit cooler climate, wonderful to walk around and take a taxi from time to time.

Stockholm, Sweden
6. Re: What to see in Nicaragua - 1st week of April.

To "In TowPlaces":

Thanks very much. We will definitely look into the places you mention.

Read something abt malaria mosquitos - Is that a problem in Nicaragua?

Cheers!

Bo

San Francisco...
reviews: 39
7. Re: What to see in Nicaragua - 1st week of April.

I know Granada is touristy, but I loved it. Lots to do, nice to walk around, lots of tours to take to local places. Definitely better than Managua as a base

Managua, Nicaragua
reviews: 14
8. Re: What to see in Nicaragua - 1st week of April.

Interesting. I just had a family staying with me and they went to do a day trip to Granada (40 minutes away by bus) and they came back very glad to be staying at a cooler, more comfortable and relaxing place. They didn't like all the panhandlers and beggars which unfortunately seems to be common as Granada has become so popular. But to each his or her own!

Granada, Nicaragua
reviews: 38
9. Re: What to see in Nicaragua - 1st week of April.

Hello SwedenDrummer.

first night after a long flight the hilton sounds so nice, next day if you want to relax and just do a half day trip managua sounds like the city to visit. then i would recommend to visit and stay in a beautiful colonial city as granada, on the way to granada i would recommend to do masaya volcano day trip, next day while in granada do a city tour of granada an a relaxing boat trip on the little islnds of granada, next day i would recommend mombacho volcano. next day to the beach area spend a night there spend time next day at the beach and transfer to the last night at the hilton if desire for your flight next day.

Byron.

http://byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

Granada, Nicaragua
reviews: 38
10. Re: What to see in Nicaragua - 1st week of April.

About the mosquitos problems that you ask it is true but this is happening in really poor areas but the goverment is taking care of this situation.

Even myself that travel all around Nicaragua have not got any problem a bit of bug spray and everything will be ok.

Byron

http://byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader