We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Volcano trekking/viewing

Which Nicaragua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
reviews: 1
Volcano trekking/viewing

I am hoping someone can give me a recommendation on what would be the best experience for my limited time in and around Granada: Masaya, Mombacho or an overnight Telica trek? How do they compare? I would like to do all 3 but I don't have enough time and I think I might end up being a bit volcano-ed out. Originally I was thinking about doing the first two, but camping on a volcano sounds like a fun idea?!

Nicaragua
reviews: 46
11. Re: Volcano trekking/viewing

There is lots of people that think going to the volcanoes without a guide is an easy job and once they are there lots of them give up or get lost or get hurt. I will say that the authorities should not allow anybody to go to the volcanoes without a local guide. My way of seeing things is that you can save yourself some money sharing a ride, or going to a hostel but putting your life ta risk just for a few dollars, is not worth it.

Edited: 8:56 pm, September 06, 2013
Managua, Nicaragua
reviews: 16
12. Re: Volcano trekking/viewing

Byronortega -

I agree with you maderas is not a beginners climb. But i wasnt referring to maderas and neither was anyone else.

The original poster asked about masaya and mombacho. Both of which you drive right to the top, and generallyhave a good number of others on the trails or in the area at any given time. They have well marked trails, etc.

Why people will pay money for a tour guide of volcan masaya i have no idea. But to each their own.

I agree, hiking alone through bosawas is not at all recommended. But we werent talking about some of the more difficult places in nicaragua, this was just about a couple of places i felt getting a guide was completely unnecessary in my opinion.

As a side point i really would be interested to know how many people have really died. I hear lots of rumors and read online posts about all these people that have died. But when i ask for specifics, it all comes back to that one german tourist. In the last decade, i only know, or could find actual news reports or first hand knowledge of one person on concepcion and two on maderas dying (all of which were during peak rainy season and got caught in a torrential rain, which lets be honest. Isnt the volcanos fault). Sure every blog and every guide has a story about "that one guy a few years back who died" but never anything more substantial. Even my friends who were born on ometepe could only give me specifics about those 3, and the rest was hearsay. So as a serious aside, i would be genuinely interested to know more specific info. I have heard of a good deal of injuries, but almost all come from hiking at night, or in a downpour. Which shows they werent just lacking a guide, but obviously some brains.

I most certainly do not want to be encouraging people to go do something stupid and get themselves killed, safety is always important.

On the other hand, im not terribly comfortable with guides guilting people into paying 50 bucks a trip with unfounded stories of horror and death to make it seem like they dont have any other option.

If anything hire a local in the area for just a few bucks. Its far cheaper, and goes to supporr the local economy and not some foreign owned tourust company.

13. Re: Volcano trekking/viewing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, September 08, 2014