We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7-8 day in Nicaragua...

Which Nicaragua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 11
7-8 day in Nicaragua...

We were thinking for to visit Nicaragua for 7-8 days around Easter. Could you please recommend an itinerary? Can we just book flight to capital and books hotels online or better to go through some tour operator?

Granada, Nicaragua
reviews: 38
1. Re: 7-8 day in Nicaragua...

If you spend one week in this spectacular country, I recommend going south of the capital. Granada, Ometepe and San Juan Del Sur.

Day 1: Visit to the colonial city of Granada including a boat ride on the little Islands of Granada at Lake Nicaragua.

Day 2: Day trip to the city of Masaya, visiting the first national park of Nicaragua Masaya Volcano, Masaya art craft market, Catarina view point, San Juan de Oriente pottery town and canopy tour at Mombacho volcano.

Day 3: Transfer to Ometepe Island. Lunch at Moyogalpa and later walking tour in charco Verde. Enjoy the rest of the afternoon in your hotel.

Day 4: Full day trip on the island visiting Finca Magdalena, Finca El Porvenir, Playa santo domingo la piedra inculta trail, Altagracia y el ojo de agua. Or hike one of the two volcanoes Maderas volcano or Concepcion volcano. Or hike at San Ramon Waterfall.

Day 5 and 6: Transfer to San Juan Del Sur or any other resort around and enjoy of the beach.

Day 7: Transfer back to Managua airport.

But because is Easter depending on the time that you arrive beaches areas gets crazy crowded so you can skip SJDS and add Leon or Matagalpa.

Enjoy Nicaragua.

Byron

http://byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

Chichiriviche...
reviews: 27
2. Re: 7-8 day in Nicaragua...

If you have 8 days i would suggest staying 2 nights at Laguna de Apoyo a Crater lake surrounded by Jungle you will have wake up calls by birds and monkeys. Enjoy the cleanest water of central America by swimming, sail or kayak…relax in a hammock or have a cool drink and enjoy to read a book. I would make day trips to National Park Vulcan Masaya and the white Villages (especial Catarina and San Juan del Oriente) (Accommodation, Posada Abuela, The Villas at Apoyo, San Simian Lodge)

Than I would go to Leon the most beautiful and only authentic colonial City in Nicaragua for 3 days... There are nice museums to visit…You can make day excursions to one of the many volcanoes nearby (Vulcan bording on Cerro Negro, Watching the Lava at Teclia…or climb the highest Volcano of Nicaragua San Cristobal there are more Vulcanos nearby. Also I would suggest a trip to Las Penitas its just a ½ hour away has a nice beach and you can do a 3 hour excursion the Isla Juan Venado with a local fisherman you can see a lot of birds, crocodills and turtles.

The last 3 days I would go to Matagalpa or Jinotega to visit Coffee farms and exploring very beautiful Cloud forest with a lot of wildlife…(Eco lodges in this area, Selva Negrea, La Bastilla Eco Lodge, Esperanza Verde , El Jaguar, La Sombra Eco Lodge)

It’s a alternative Route to Granada, Ometepe and San Juan del Sur… I like this route much more and you would have a seen a lot of highlights which this country offer, Vulcan Crater with cleanest Water, Active Volcano, nice tiny villages where the produce the best ceramic, Colonial City beach on the pacific, Cloud forrest…etc

Eastern is backed and you should make reservatin for hotels in advance.

Salta…

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 10
3. Re: 7-8 day in Nicaragua...

I am actually going to Nica in October for 7nights & 8 days. We are a fairly adventurous couple who likes to hustle and go-go! We are into photography, hiking and yoga so this is our itinerary!

Day 1- Arrive in the city of Managua grab bus to Leon. Eat lunch and grab snacks for island. Catch mini bus to poneloya beach. Catch boat to Island of Brasiles to Surfing turtle Lodge. http://www.surfingturtlelodge.com/ Free time for activity of your choice, Dinner, Sunset,

Day 2 - Morning Free for Activities to choose surf, massage, horses, vegging.... after check out, head to City of Leon. 2pm Volcano Hike and boarding at Cerro Negro! Return to City for Dinner and spending the night at Tortuga Balooga! http://tortugabooluda.com/index.html -

Day 3- Early AM Rise in the city for breakfast and a stroll around of churches, architecture. By noon we hit the road to Granada! We will have lunch in Granada where we will be picked up around 2pm to head south to Laguna De Apoyo for 2 night vegan yoga retreat at Apoyo Lodge!

Day 4 - Rise on the laguna and have free time for hiking, boating, etc in morning. After lunch we can relax or head out to Mombacho volcano, hike into caterina or shop in Masaya. Return to Laguna for yoga session and dinner

Day 5 - Rise and get private transport to Ferry in San Jorge. Take 1 hour 9:30 ferry to Island of Ometepe. 2 nights at Totoco Eco Lodge. http://www.totoco.com.ni/ Swim in the afternoon at Oja mineral springs and hike behind property Sunset and quiet evening at lodge.

Day 6 - Rise and have FULL day to go on variety of excursions... waterfalls, hiking, kayaking, fishing, etc...evening at Totoco, massage night FOR SURE!.

Day 7 - Rise and Ferry back to mainland. Travel up north to Granada. Can stop in Masaya to shop if we didnt get on day 4. Once in granada we will tour the city and head to water front for a sunset boat ride around the Isletas if we choose. Dinner & nighlife in the city. Want to stay at Plaza Colon (

Day 8 - Rise and stroll the city before catching transfer to airport!

We are from Florida and decided to skip SJDS. Reason being, after much discussion it was too americanized for our tastes this trip.

I will give a trip report when I get back to assist others and share all Ive learned.

Toronto
4. Re: 7-8 day in Nicaragua...

Thanks to all for replies!

The point is that we don't want to switch too many accommodations... We'd like to have 1 , maximum 2 base accommodations and just take day tours to various attraction (with tour operator or independently). For example can we just book 4 nights in Granada and 3 in Leon?

So itinerary will be simple, Managua -> Leon -> Granada -> Managua (maybe first Granada and than Leon?).

What is the best way to get from Managua Airport to Leon or Granada? Taxi? Bus? Some shuttle that we can take directly from airport?

Question about day tours.....should we book in advance or it's not a problem to find tour when we already in town?

Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 10
5. Re: 7-8 day in Nicaragua...

Since Im headed to Leon After I arrive in Managua, I found this helpful information about public transporation to Leon.

MANAGUA

Transfer to Leon

By bus

The bus terminal is about 2 km northeast of the center, take one of the trucks waiting in front of the terminal - which serve as local buses (3.5 cord) - to the center, or take a taxi for about C$20.

• From Managua : Take the vans leaving from Mercado Israel Lewites or the microbuses (camionetas) leaving from UCA (Universidad Centro Americana). The vans from Mercado Israel Lewites are fiteen-passenger vans that are fairly crowded, but not excessively uncomfortable, particularly when one sits next to a window. Buses run regularly, leaving from the Mercado every 15-20 minutes. Buses leave from La UCA beginning at 4:30am until approx. 9pm. They leave whenever they are full, usually every 15 minutes. The bus from either terminal costs C$ 46. If you take the bus, make sure to get an expreso - otherwise the bus makes stops to pick up passengers on the side of the road along the way. The microbuses cost about 51C.

• The trip Managua-León is 1 hour and 15 minutes long and the road is good. The tiket price is 20 Cordobas ($1.3) to an ordinary bus and rise to 24 Cordobas ($1.5) for a express bus (12-passengers bus). The same route y taxi cost about $40 to sare with all the passangers, for this reason usually the taxi doesn't leave utill are full.

• The bus station in León is in El Coyar district, from there leave the buses for all other destination. The most important is on the northward road that takes (leads) to Honduras trough El Viejo border point.

• To move within town you can use the taxi that cost 10 Cordobas per person (traveling to the suburbs is more expensive). There are also specia bus called "camionette", This service has a fixed route within city and costs 2 1/2 cordobas. The "camonette" staff is usually very polite so you can ask them about your destination and they tell you when is time to get down

Toronto
6. Re: 7-8 day in Nicaragua...

majority of flights from Toronto to managua arrive late in the evening (7 - 8 pm), si i was thinking that taxi will be the best option.... genarally, is it safe to take taxi at night?

There are 3 of us.... do you think taxi will be waiting to 4th passenger?

Edited: 1:58 pm, August 22, 2013
Central America
reviews: 22
7. Re: 7-8 day in Nicaragua...

Book way early beacause Semana Santa is a huge holiday period through out Central America and popular destinations are crowded. We usually stay home or go somewhere way off the beaten path.

Virginia Beach...
8. Re: 7-8 day in Nicaragua...

How many actual days , not including travel days? What time is your departure flight?

Austin, Texas...
reviews: 9
9. Re: 7-8 day in Nicaragua...

Hi!

This is a great thread because my wife & I are also planning an 8 day trip. We will leave the US on Nov 22 and return Dec 2. This is Thanksgiving week.

The first night, we're thinking we'll stay at an overpriced airport hotel in Managua - we get in way too late to attempt the late night trip to Granada.

We want to visit Granada, Ometepe, and Matagalpa. Looking at the itineraries above, I'd say that this is very do-able. We would rather spend time some time really exploring rather than hurrying through.

I know that this is the start of the "high season" - how tough will it be to find a room in these places? We usually don't like to "overplan", but since this is our first trip to Nica, we're not really sure what to expect.

Any advice on this itinerary would be appreciated for sure.

I should add that I can survive with the Spanish I know. We've been to Mexico and Ecuador and managed to get around, rent rooms, travel by bus or cab.

TIA! :-)

Managua, Nicaragua
reviews: 16
10. Re: 7-8 day in Nicaragua...

Its never hard to find a room. At any point during the year, even during santa semana. As long as you are flexible where you stay. If you absolutely HAVE to stay at a specific hotel, its always better to book in advance. But simply finding lodging in an area is almost always 100% available.