We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Notice Trip Planning- Possible?

Which Nicaragua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 38
Short Notice Trip Planning- Possible?

My husband and I are thinking about taking an ~ 11 day trip to Nicaraga leaving around May 15th (so, 6 weeks from now). Since we don't have a lot of time, we'll likely stick to Granada, Ometepe SJDS, and if we can add a couple more days, then possibly Leon.

Is this too short of notice to plan such a trip and be able to stay in some of the more desirable accommodations (by desirable, I simply mean places that have been favorably reviewed and are in the mid-price range)? We don't need luxury, but also are not interested in totally roughing it.

How much time in advance is reasonaby necessary to plan a trip to Nicaragua?

Nicaragua
1. Re: Short Notice Trip Planning- Possible?

This is definitely a time that is not as busy as others in Nicaragua but you always want to do things in advance, just in case. May is a good time to visit.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 84
2. Re: Short Notice Trip Planning- Possible?

Your itinerary sounds reasonable. We found San Juan del Sur to be alright, but not really very Nicaraguan. You may want to leave some flexibility in your schedule so that you can make adjustments for places that feel right to you. In May you should not have too much need for reservations. Renting a car is a good way to see the country as the roads are good and the pace relatively slow. We went to a wide variety of places in our sub-compact and never felt that we needed an SUV.

Granada is a good place to start as it is tourist friendly. We found TerraSol to be a decent small niche hotel and the Nica owners speak fluent English from years spent in the USA. Leon is a couple hours away from there, is quite a bit larger and busier, but also safe and fairly tourist friendly. We found the Maraposa Hotel to be well run, clean and a nice place to stay... it even had a pool. On Ometepe we stayed el Encanto, a clean, but somewhat basic motel near Santa Cruz. At the time it was run by a mixed Assie/Nica couple. Its highlight was the flower garden, quiet location and quaint atmosphere. You will need 2 to 3 hours to get there from Leon, or an hour from Granada, plus the ferry ride. All of these places were under $50 and included breakfast. I can't remember where we stayed in SJdS, but there is a full range of places there.

If you want to add a stop, I'd suggest either Luguna Apoyo or the Santana / Popoyo area, about 50 kms north of SJdS. We tried to get in at Buno Unda (under the Tola area on TA), but they were booked when we were in the area in 02/13, so we only managed a snack at the restaurant. During our brief visit we met one of the (Swiss) owners who shared a bit of their story. What a nice place and great setting. It is in the $70 range for a nice room. If you really want to end on a splurge, you could go down the road and stay at Rancho Santana where you can get your own casita at $200 a night. Agua, between there and SJdS near Gigante is also in that price range and is nice. There are on-line deals every now and again where you can stay there for a little less.

Happy Trails

Granada, Nicaragua
3. Re: Short Notice Trip Planning- Possible?

May is the moment in Nicaragua when things are starting to bloom even more from what it is right now, some good and nice fruits are all around now but may is the perfect time to see more of this nice fruits and vegetation also is fine to travel around as is low season in Nicaragua and some hotels as good deals and the country is not that crowed so that is why i recommend something like this that probably might likeyou

Day one: Arriving at Nicaragua and transfer to your hotel In Leon.

Day two: Morning tour to Cerro Negro. And in the afternoon city tour in Leon.

Day three: Transfer to the city of Granada visiting Old Leon and Managua city. or Masaya day trip

Day four: City tour in Granada and visiting the little islands of Granada.

Day five: Masaya day tour visiting Masaya Volcano, Masaya art craft market, Masaya city, Catarina view point and San Juan de Oriente Pottery town. or free day in Granada.

Day six: Transfer to Ometepe Island and relax the rest of the day in front of the beach.

Day seven: Day trip around Ometepe Island visiting Charco verde natural reserve, Altagracia town to visit the Pre-Columbian statues, Finca el porvenir rock carving, the water spring.

Day eight: Enjoy a bit more of the Island

Day nine: Transfer to San Juan del Sur Beach area.

Day ten: Enjoy the beach area.

Day Eleven: transfer to the airport.

About booking hotels there is a good amount of hotels in this area that probably will have space for this days.

Hopefully it was helpful.

Byron.

www.byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

Managua, Nicaragua
reviews: 14
4. Re: Short Notice Trip Planning- Possible?

Greetings TravelSimone:

As an owner-operator of a small quality bed and breakfast located in Managua but up in the hills going towards the towns of Masaya and Granada, I can say that we get plenty of bookings just a couple of days or so in advance. Even though we are rated number one in our category and have just a few rooms, we can usually accommodate even the most last-minute visitors. So I doubt you will have too much problem in your bookings.

I don't think you will have any problem in Granada or Leon but the Tola surf zone may be a bit busier as May is a great time to catch some big waves on the coast. Surf's up!

Cheers,

Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde

San Francisco...
5. Re: Short Notice Trip Planning- Possible?

Thank you all for your excellent replies! I really appreciate the suggestions. I am going to see about booking our flight today.

6. Re: Short Notice Trip Planning- Possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 04, 2014