We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not exactly backpackers but want to go local

Which Nicaragua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 3
Not exactly backpackers but want to go local

Hello trip advisors

My husband and. Will be traveling to Nicaragua next month We're past the backpacking age(been there,done that) but we want to take public transportation. We will be taking the chicken bus from Granada to Rivas and from moyogalpa to Finca del sol where we will be staying for 5 days. We will be leaving ometepe on Saturday, December 23rd for Managua. Can we catch a bus either from San Jorge or Rivas to managua? How long is the bus trip?

Thanking ya'll in advance.

Btw, is it ok to give a shout out to Debbie Goering an expat living in Ometepe and started a mobile library for the children? She 's collecting childrens' Spanish/English books fromK-5. You can drop off the books at The American Hotel n cafe in moyogalpa I've more than enough room in my luggage so I will drop books for her. For more info her blog website is rewired and retired in Nicaragua Her blogs are hillarious, informative,heart warming entertaining etc. check,it out.

Managua, Nicaragua
reviews: 5
1. Re: Not exactly backpackers but want to go local

HELLO, you can catch a bus from San Jorge to Managua (Mercado Roberto Huembes) and the trip is about two hours, the cost is almost USS 2.50. per person. By the way happy trip to ometepe, is a beatiful place, I was born there and i know every place there. Enjoy it

2. Re: Not exactly backpackers but want to go local

Muchas gracias dehotelesymas. Does buses runs on Saturdays? Is there a direct bus to Managua?

Granada, Nicaragua
reviews: 38
3. Re: Not exactly backpackers but want to go local

If you catch any of the ferries name Ferry Ometepe 1 or Ferry ometepe 2 or Ferry ometepe 3 there will always be a bus waiting few metters when you get out of the ferry to take you straight to managua. and it will take about 3 hours and US3 dollars as soon as you get to managua better if you take the ferries in the morning so you do not make it late to managua please take a taxy to your hotel do not take any chances by getting a chicken bus in managua.

Make sure that your taxy has a red/white/red license plate that in the front mirrow has the a copy with the drivers id and always negotiate the price before getting into the taxis

Now from GRanada to rivas the buses you can take them close to the local market the bus station is close to UNO gas station and take about 2 hours to get there and about US$2 dollars.

If planning to do some day trips in Granada get intouch with http://golocalnicaragua.wix.com/nicaragua Local guides that will organize some activities there.

Enjoy Nicaragua.

4. Re: Not exactly backpackers but want to go local

Señor Byron Ortega you are to me a Rock Star!!!!, Muchas gracias para ayudarme. Your wealth of advice is priceless You've helped countless of tourists here. You should have your own website ....... Askmeanythingaboutnicaragua.com

Ok. We are heading very early to Managua on Saturday, Deciembre 22. Viaje tres horas en autobus de pollo es demasiado. We want to check out the neighborhood of La Pyramide hotel before our flight next day to Big and Little corn island next day. If we take a cab how,long will it take and how much will it cost. Do you have any suggestion?

I'm not preocupe about our safety. I'm Asian and my husband is part Spanish /German/Chinese and he can pass for Nicaraguan besides there 's a little bit of ninja turtle in me. Ayah!!!!!! Vayase.....Larguese!!!!!!!

I regret that we're only spending 2 days in granada and no time for Leon,esteli instead more time on corn islands. Hubby needs his beach fix . He's a beach bum and I'm a certified Island girl. Definitely I'm coming back by myself to study Espanol.

Granada, Nicaragua
5. Re: Not exactly backpackers but want to go local

you mean from San jorge port to Managua? if is like this there are companies that can provide you a reliable service for a good price please take a look in this company that many tourist has rate it in this forum before

http://www.iskratravel.com/shuttles.html

If need more help will be my pleasure to help you around.

Enjoy Nicaragua.

Granada, Nicaragua
6. Re: Not exactly backpackers but want to go local

BTW thank you for the comments it really push you to keep helping travelers.

7. Re: Not exactly backpackers but want to go local

Dehotelesymas.....

I checked the bus schedule on Saturday, December 22nd and it has only has 1 bus departure schedule @ 6 am, i presume. We should arrive in San Jorge around 10-10:30ish am. Since it's getting closer to the holidays and it's a Saturday, maybe they don't run that often.

8. Re: Not exactly backpackers but want to go local

Thanks Byron......

I sent them email message. I told them that you highly recommend their service. I trust your valuable opinion. I'm still awaiting response.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 56
9. Re: Not exactly backpackers but want to go local

I stayed at La Pyramide. It's in a residential area, and all I found within walking distance was a shopping mall. (I love walking, so my definition of "walking distance" is fairly large.)

Managua has, as far as I can tell, no core, no walkable centre, no focal point - just unplanned sprawl.

10. Re: Not exactly backpackers but want to go local

Bus Schedule..... this answers my question.

living-history-nicaragua.com/horarios-de-bus…