We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best location without a car rental?

Which Nicaragua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, BC
reviews: 26
Best location without a car rental?

Trying to find the best location to stay that has transportation close by and doesn't require renting/driving our own car. - 6 people.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
1. Re: Best location without a car rental?

If a beach town with a slow vibe is what you want, then San Juan del Sur. You can walk the town easily, and there are plenty of local drivers or taxis to take you on a local excursion. Restaurants, bars, beach, ice cream, all within walking distance. Very warm, a touch humid, and lots of hotels have cold water showers...but no big problem.

Something more cosmopolitan, Granada is my personal choice. The Calle Calzada is the center of the tourist area, again plenty of bars, restaurants (some excellent), entertainment, and a very good selection of hotels at all price levels. There are local tours to the lake, volcano, and craft markets, but you need a tour guide for that (I recommend Byron Ortega here on the Forum) otherwise there are horse drawn surreys, and plenty of offers of taxis. There is a more local business/market area which seems a world away from the Gringoized Calzada..reminds me of a mis east marketplace.

Cigars are available in a few places (my weakness) to send back home.

Have a great holiday, and do come back and review your trip so others can learn.

Managua, Nicaragua
reviews: 13
2. Re: Best location without a car rental?

Greetings 15290:

Almost every little village in Nicaragua has some sort of bus service, however it may be infrequent depending on how remote it may be. So assuming you are okay with going on public buses, then any of the towns are well-serviced and the fares are very inexpensive.

We just had a family of four with very limited Spanish skills spend a month in-country and they went by bus all over, Granada, Ometepe, Leon, Estelí, etc. and had a fantastic visit. The funny thing with them was their two boys are adopted from South Asian countries so they look very Nicaraguan; all the locals kept talking to the boys when trying to communicate with mom & dad!

Bus transport only gets slightly more complicated when you are say in Granada and want to go to say Leon, you have to take transport (either bus or expresso mini-van) to Managua and then transfer to a different bus to Leon.

Just keep in mind "Es todo una aventura" (It's all an adventure) and you and your group will be fine!

Cheers, Mike @ Farmstay El Porton Verde

Edited: 12:18 pm, August 31, 2012
Granada, Nicaragua
reviews: 38
3. Re: Best location without a car rental?

It depends what you have in mind to stay and how much Spanish you speak let me know what places you have so far in mind and i can let you know where the bus stations or how to get to them and other locations in nicaragua

Enjoy Nicaragua.

Byron

4. Re: Best location without a car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:35 am, September 04, 2012
5. Re: Best location without a car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 04, 2013