We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RESIDENCY: How long does it take?

Which Nicaragua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
RESIDENCY: How long does it take?

Just how much hassle is it to quality for residency? For someone that needs to establish that as quickly as possible so they don't have to be enslaved to their countries' tax system, its really crucial. The downside is usually you can't leave Nicaragua for a long time during your process of establishing residency. If there are good URL's explaining the hoops one must jump through, please share. :) And does investment in the country speed things along? And can your own home be an investment? And if you rent out rooms in that home, is that income taxable? Are the tax rates high? If you employ Nicaraguans, does that help anything?

15 replies to this topic
USA
reviews: 15
1. Re: RESIDENCY: How long does it take?

Here is a great website for your questions, http://www.nicaliving.com/forum/15

Me & my boyfriend are in the process of getting our residency, he as a retiree and me as an investor. You can use your house as your investment which is what I am doing. There are many hoops to jump through before you leave your current country, birth certificate, police report, health certificate and any other documents must first be sent to the secretary of state in the state they were issued for certification then sent to the Nicaraguan consulate for authentication. The police report will expire in 6 months so don't do that one too early. Once you get down here it is not impossible to complete the process yourself if you speak spanish but it would be difficult, I would strongly recommend hiring a laywer to do it for you. So far I am happy with the one we have but we don't have our residency yet. My boyfriend had some problems with his birth certificate so that cost us two weeks but the laywer says she can do it in 6 weeks if everything goes well.

Managua, Nicaragua
reviews: 14
2. Re: RESIDENCY: How long does it take?

Please talk to a lawyer who specializes in Immigration. The rules (official and unofficial) change all the time.

Yes as Iluv2travel says, go to Nicaliving.

Please check the most recent post there by attorney Paul Tiffer. He has some updated information on how things are actually working out right now. Also, the above information (that you can use your house as your "business investment" is incorrect per Paul.

http://nicaliving.com/node/20438

Managua, Nicaragua
3. Re: RESIDENCY: How long does it take?

Hello,

I am afraid there is a mistake - probably created by some realtors - a House is not consider as a Foreign Investments in terms to apply as Investor for Residency; to be consider Foreign Investor the applicant must run in a business - S.A. is the best way, that´s mean create a corporation, obtain the approval of the Ministry of Economy, and of course invest more than $ 30 K. If the applicant lives in a house which will be used for the business will be ok - for a B&B for example.-

Regarding the original question; To be resident how long does it takes?

It will depent on what kind of Resiency the applicant will obtain, it could be as Foreing Investor, Retiree, Rentier, Spouse. The fact is once the applicant submit the complete documentation, duly legalized and authenticated Immigration takes 45 as minimun to approve residency.

You can visit por a general idea: http://www.nicaliving.com/node/13732

For Retiree or Rentier you can check: http://www.nicaliving.com/node/15617 and http://www.nicaliving.com/node/17671.

If someone want to obtain more info, please do not hesitate to contact me to: ptiffer@cablenet.com.ni

Best Regards,

Paul Tiffer

Nicaraguan Attorney at Law.

Winnipeg, Canada
4. Re: RESIDENCY: How long does it take?

What do you think it costs for the typical single person to get residency including legal costs these days?

Managua, Nicaragua
5. Re: RESIDENCY: How long does it take?

It could be around $ 1,000.00

Managua, Nicaragua
6. Re: RESIDENCY: How long does it take?

Hello readers, now is going to be easer and faster apply for residency in Nicaragua:

I am glad to inform you than Nicaragua now is part of The Hague Convention (Apostille Treaty ) which entered into force in Nicaragua on 14 May 2013, abolishing the requirement for legalization or authentication of foreign public documents by the local and state authorities and by the Nicaraguan Consulate abroad, for the countries which are members of the Convention.

As of now any residency applicant under any category from the countries under the Convention, just need to Apostille their documents - Birth Certificate, Police Record, Health Certificate, Marriage License etc., and have them translated to be accepted in Nicaragua.

This new rule will make a simpler process to the people who need to submit their documents in Nicaragua as retirees, foreign investors, missioners, etc.

The list of the countries is:

Albania, Alemania, Andorra, Antigua y Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaiyán, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarús o Bielorrusia, Bélgica, Belice, Bosnia y Herzegovina, Botswana, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Cabo Verde, China Popular, Chipre, Colombia, Cook, Islas, Corea del Sur, Costa Rica, Croacia, Dinamarca, Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eslovaquia, Eslovenia, España, Estados Unidos de América*,Estonia, Fiji (Fiyi), Finlandia, Francia, Georgia, Granada, Grecia, Honduras, Hungría, India, Irlanda, Islandia, Israel, Italia, Japón, Kazajstán, Kirguistán, La ex República Yugoslava de Macedonia, Lesotho, Letonia, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lituania, Luxemburgo, Malawi, Malta, Marshall, Islas, Mauricio, México, Mónaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Namibia, Nicaragua, Niue, Noruega, Nueva Zelandia, Omán, Países Bajos, Panamá, Perú, Polonia, Portugal, Reino Unido de Gran Bretaña e Irlanda del Norte, República Checa, República de Moldavia, República Dominicana, Rumania, Rusia, Federación de, Saint Kitts-Nevis(San Cristobal y Nieves), Samoa, San Marino, San Vicente y las Granadinas, Santa Lucía, Santo Tomé y Príncipe, Serbia, Seychelles, Sudáfrica, Suecia, Suiza, Suriname, Swazilandia, Tonga, Trinidad y Tabago, Turquía, Ucrania, Uruguay, Uzbekistán, Vanuatu, Venezuela.

Best Regards,

Paul Tiffer

Attorney at Law

ptiffer@cablenet.com.ni

La Libertad, El...
reviews: 7
7. Re: RESIDENCY: How long does it take?

I notice Canada missing from the fast-track list.

This Canadian has been trying in El Salvador for 1 1/2 yr. if my latest attempt is refused, Nicaragua is next as the income requirement is lower than SV.

The quoted fees seem high compared to SV though?

Saint Hyacinthe...
8. Re: RESIDENCY: How long does it take?

My husband was born in Nicaragua and has been living in Canada (has his canadian citizenship) for the past 25 years. Would we have to go thru the same process has anyone else who would want to obtain residency in Nicaragua?

Thank you.

Managua, Nicaragua
9. Re: RESIDENCY: How long does it take?

Dear Canadian, I am afraid Canada is not part of the Convention of Hague for Apostille, so they must continue authenticating. They have two options:

First legalized documents in the Department of Foreign Affair and International Trade in Ottawa, and then in any Nicaraguan Consulate in USA.

Second and faster is to legalizedocuments in Canada in the Department of Foreign Affair and International Trade, in Ottawa and then in the Canadian Consulate in Managua, for retirees is free of charge.

Managua, Nicaragua
10. Re: RESIDENCY: How long does it take?

Your husband as Nicaraguan doesn´t loose the citizenship, hower if you want to obtaion the benefits of the law for retiree people - tax exemptions for the household goods and vehicle - and of course residency for you, he must apply to the law 694 for retirees.

You can check more about it in: www.nicaliving.com/node/15617

Best Regards,

Paul Tiffer

Reply to: RESIDENCY: How long does it take?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted