We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone to text U.S. from Nicaragua

Which Nicaragua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Evart, Michigan
Cell phone to text U.S. from Nicaragua

Hi,

I'd like to text from Nicaragua back to the US while we are visiting. Would you recommend buying an unlocked GSM phone in the states, or waiting till we are in Nicaragua? Also, I've read that I can buy a SIM card at the airport-- our plane gets in at about 8 pm-- will the places that sell the cards already be closed?

Can anyone give me an idea what a phone would cost in Nicaragua (that is capable of texting the U.S.), how much a SIM card is, and the cost per text?

Thanks!

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
11. Re: Cell phone to text U.S. from Nicaragua

Oh that's a good one, pardon me while I Google Chat with my Boca, Gallo Pinto and Guaro. Pura Vida mae.

Grecia, Costa Rica
reviews: 15
12. Re: Cell phone to text U.S. from Nicaragua

I just had a thought, could be that Google has analyzed my phone usage on their system and realized I use it for work, hence, the charge. Quite possible that a "personal use" application may be free. Whatever, it works great with wifi and even some internet sticks.

Cincinnati, OH
reviews: 34
13. Re: Cell phone to text U.S. from Nicaragua

Depending on where you are going, I would NOT count on using Google voice. Unless you're getting a USB modem from Claro or Movistar, and even then...not all that reliable in remote areas. A phone is $30, so not exactly a big expense. Sorry I have never texted back to the U.S. as I'm usually calling to talk to my kids, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Right now Claro has a deal, for $2 you text CLARO to 8100 and get 60 minutes of talk to U.S. in a 24 hour period. Just for anyone else reading this who likes to talk. ;)

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 83
14. Re: Cell phone to text U.S. from Nicaragua

I used wifi and emailed using an older smart phone back home for updates to family

Cincinnati, OH
reviews: 34
15. Re: Cell phone to text U.S. from Nicaragua

FYI for anyone interested, I turned on my CLARO phone when I got home, just to get a phone number, and I immediately picked up a full AT&T signal, so they are clearly running off of American GSM technology, not Australian/European.

16. Re: Cell phone to text U.S. from Nicaragua

It's not super expensive to text the USA with neither carrier but Movistar offers packets of international texts. they must be used within 24 hours of activation but they are much cheaper

17. Re: Cell phone to text U.S. from Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 21, 2013