We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Nicaragua with pets?

Which Nicaragua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
FL
reviews: 19
Traveling to Nicaragua with pets?

Can pets be brought into Nicaragua from the U.S.?

Nicaragua
reviews: 38
1. Re: Traveling to Nicaragua with pets?

I do think that will be a problem as long as the dog is up to date with its vaccines.

San Francisco...
reviews: 101
2. Re: Traveling to Nicaragua with pets?

I am a registered veterinary technician and have traveled all over Nicaragua (and Costa Rica)

Regarding traveling with a dog - There are stray dogs running around everywhere in Nicaragua. Good chance of your dog getting in a fight, contracting something, or running away. Another thing to keep in mind is that pet kidnapping is not uncommon in Central America - especially when it is a Gringo who is obviously cares for the animal. Nicaragua is also host to many parasites that are uncommon in the US that could make your dog sick. The stresses of travel and drastic change in climate/temperature will weaken your dogs immune system making it more susceptible to parasites and pathogenic bacteria/viruses

Veterinary medicine in the area is either non-existent or primate at best

Do your dog a big favor and leave it at home

FL
reviews: 19
3. Re: Traveling to Nicaragua with pets?

Thanks Sean - that sure makes Nicaragua a place where I don't think I want to go. I really appreciate the information.

San Francisco...
reviews: 101
4. Re: Traveling to Nicaragua with pets?

It's a great place to visit - just leave your dog at home with a friend.

Boston...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Traveling to Nicaragua with pets?

Derb,

One of the best trips I've ever taken was the highlands of Ecuador. I would not recommending taking pets on that trip either. Why restrict yourself?

Granada, Nicaragua
6. Re: Traveling to Nicaragua with pets?

Pets can be brought to Nicaragua but there is a strict protocol for entering and leaving the country.

The paperwork isn't too bad but you may have problems finding an airline willing to flight your pet. I know with Spirit they do not fly pets internationally.

We just brought my daughter's service dog here 3.5 months ago and had NO issues.

You must get a vet certificate no more than 2 weeks before you travel. Your rabies vax must be less than 1 year (reason being is because they are used to the 1 year vaxes here vs the 3 year that we have available to us in the US. The vet also must administer a flea & Tick treatment (like Frontline or the equivalent) and an anti-parasitic pill also)

You take your rabies certificate and vet cert. to the USDA and have them sign off on the vet cert (and pay them $35) and you're set!

When I came through immigration there were no issues .... they checked all our dogs documents, stamped it and charged us $10.

When leaving here your pet must be examined by a USDA certified vet also. (similar but almost easier process) ... and that's it. (within 2 weeks of travel)

There are several USDA approved vets here in Nicaragua and I have found several EXCELLENT vets here for our dog. Frontline and Advantix are considerably cheaper here in Nic too btw!

We've been here 3.5 months and my dog LOVES it here.

That being said ... if you are going on vacation anywhere internationally ... I do NOT recommend taking your pet with you as your put your animal at risk to be exposed to undo stress and illnesses plus access issues you might encounter.

Best wishes!

7. Re: Traveling to Nicaragua with pets?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 14, 2010