We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Nicaragua

Which Nicaragua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
reviews: 14
Where to go in Nicaragua

By boyfriend and I are thinking about a trip to either Nicaragua or Honduras. I have just begun to look into Nicaragua. Can someone share there favorite spots and general thoughts on traveling in Nicaragua?

Thanks!

Holland
reviews: 28
11. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua

Hi,

The anwers they gave you are the most popular and easy finding spots.

But more spectacular spots are:

Rio San Juan arrea:

- reserve Indo Maiz

- refugio Los Guatuzos

- El Castillo

Islas de Solentiname:

- Isla San Fernando

Matagalpa:

- Salva Negra

- coffee farms

- Salto Sante Emilia

If you want more information about this places or other places who not yet are discoverd by tourism, mail me.

Peter

New York
reviews: 3
12. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua

nicaragau is a cool place to go. Just be careful and smart because tourist can be targets for robbery or swindeling. I'm a 6'2 240 lb white kid so I stand out. and I've been pickpocketed I had my cell phone stolen out of my pocket i had to laugh because i always said it wouldn't happen to me. Dont walk the streets after dark thats a big one. Call taxi services ahead because there has been occasions of taxis drivers in cahoots with gangs that set up fake robberies. soo you want an official taxi service. dont trade currency with people on the street they will scam you believe me. take a debit card with money on it ATMs are the best choice to get money out. or go to a bank. dont carry alot of money on you at one time $25 is more than enough for one day. Never ride city public transportation AKA the BUS my wife is from nicaragua and shes been robbed a few times on the bus and she was a local. You can ride like long distant buses like from the city to the coasts but not the local like city buses its bad news. and a taxi ride in the city should not cost more than 45 cordabas if they charge you more they know you a tourist. on the atlantic coast most people speak english soo getting around is easier but not alot safer. there are some realy bad areas on the atlantic coast. the pacific coast is probly a safer bet. My wife and i travel to nicaragua a few times i met her on spring break when I went to nicaragua with a cousin. if you have a questions just ask

New York City
13. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua

Wow that sounds pretty heavy. Can you really not go out at night. What about in places like Granda? I would like this to be a stress "lite" vacation. Can you tell me more?

Thanks

Managua
14. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua

NIC-USA is giving good general advice.

Of course you can go out at night!

New York City
15. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua

SOrry if I sounded so basic but I have been to Guatemala (about 15 years back) and Panama and I didnt have much trouble at all. The last board message made me feel leary. My boyfriend and I do lots of walking at night and public buses. I would hate to think that will be a problem. I am not trying to sound like a spoiled gringa just wondering what is truly what.

Managua
16. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua

it's a lot safer here than in Honduras!

In Granada almost all of the restaurants/bars/hotels are around the cathedral and Parque Central.

So, theres plenty of people around.

If you're going any distance get a taxi if you like, they're cheap!

New York
reviews: 3
17. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua

Nicaragua is a very safe place! A realy great place to visit! very cheap great food and tons of fun. The people are realy nice and even go out of there way to help you with anything if you ask. I just want everyone to be safe and cautious I'm speaking mostly of parts of managua not granada In my experience the POLICE go out of there way to give tourist extra extra care this coutry is trying to build its tourism. In september my cousin in law darrel was on the street in Managua in front of his house on the street and was shot in the arm and had his laptop stollen and that was in bello horizante, managua a really nice area that I walk through all the time! you have some gang problems in Managua and its just like here in the USA you dont want to walk in to bad areas but its just not always the bad areas. I'm not out to scare anyone from going because I %100 encourage everyone to go there for at least one vacation. JAMAICA has the one one the highest murder rates in the world and people flock there.

Huntington Beach...
reviews: 402
18. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua

Lulu62, I completed one week in Nicaragua with a hike up and a run down Volcano Cerro Negro, San Cristobal and three days on Isla de Ometepe. I used Tours Nicaragua (see their website) and had a blast in such a short time. I didn't see a bug or get a bite.

puerto aventuras
reviews: 51
19. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua

I am a single white woman who has been to Nicaragua three times alone....The first time for a month in 1998 when it was rumored the Eastern coast wasn't very safe so I stuck to the west coast from San Juan del Sur to Esteli. Fell in love with Esteli and second trip was three weeks there durin the campaign of Daniel Ortega..I met him but he lost!

Last time 10 days in Esteli and 10 days in Grenada.

Esteli has a rough section as do most cities and there is no reason at all to be there. I feel totally safe walking in the center anytime.

Granada is so gringo it's ready to lose it's charm. Hopefully some of them will go home. It's great to tour Mombacho and do the zip lines...many cool places to go.

Next time I will go to Las Islas Solentime (sp?)

Have fun

S

20. Re: Where to go in Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:21 am, October 17, 2009