We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experiences at La Mariposa School?

Which Nicaragua hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 10
Experiences at La Mariposa School?

By chance I encountered a few reports here of La Mariposa school in Masaya, and I'm intrigued. My cousin and I (two women in their 30s) are planning our third spanish school trip for next fall/winter (our first two were in Costa Rica and Honduras), and I would love to hear more details from folks who have studied at La Mariposa. It's a different set-up from other schools we've been to, which generally involved morning classes, afternoons on your own, and a homestay (of varying quality).

I'd be interested in hearing anything you'd like to share, particularly:

-quality of the instruction and teachers

-was English spoken during your stay, and to what extent

-number of other students there when you studied

-afternoon activities; are they as interesting as they seem? Does the whole group do them together, with the instructors?

-Did La Mariposa have an airport pickup service or otherwise assist with that transfer?

-for those who have done homestays, did you feel like you were missing out by not having one, or did you appreciate the privacy? Was Spanish spoken at meals?

-did you have safety concerns while you were there, either while traveling or while at the school?

-did you feel like you had the chance to talk to/get to know local people? was the school integrated into the town?

-did you participate in any of the eco-projects listed on the site?

Sorry this list got so long...I appreciate any info you'd like to share!

Best,

Melissa

Sarnia, Canada
reviews: 3
1. Re: Experiences at La Mariposa School?

Hello Melissa:

I stayed at the Mariposa April this year for one week. The owner is a fantastic woman who makes you feel welcome from the moment you arrive. We did speak English as well as some Spanish at meals. This was my first and only experience with a Spanish school so I have nothing to compare with, but I found the instructors very patient and knowlegeable. I enjoyed the privacy but there was also interaction with the other students and staff. There were several students with varying lengths of stay, one fellow from Slovakia had been there a month and a girl from Sweden was staying for a month. There were no concerns regarding safety. The activities were great, there was the opportunity to go to a Nicaraguan Womens Rights group meeting and we went to a local school to watch the students do various dances etc. All in all, i can't say enough about it, it was a wonderful experience.

I hope this helps you,

Donna

Boston...
reviews: 49
2. Re: Experiences at La Mariposa School?

I can echo the very positive comments in the previous post. I stayed at La Mariposa for a week in December and really enjoyed it -- a very friendly place with coffee plants and fruit trees and dogs and some rather loud roosters. The instruction was very good -- four hours a morning of one-on-one lessons -- and the afternoon expeditions were a lot of fun, piling into the back of the pickup truck and zipping around the countryside. Because the instructors are local, you get to know something of the town as well. The owner is delightful! I felt safe and comfortable there, as I did everywhere in Nicaragua. One week wasn't long enough -- I dream of going back for at least two.

Chicago
reviews: 10
3. Re: Experiences at La Mariposa School?

Thanks to both of you for weighing in! It sounds great and I'm going to add it to my short list for my next Spanish school trip!

Best,

Melssa

Northern California
reviews: 57
4. Re: Experiences at La Mariposa School?

My daughter and I are "booked" for the end of July. Communications are rather informal -- no credit card taken for the reservation. I will post a brief report when we return.

florida
reviews: 1
5. Re: Experiences at La Mariposa School?

I just returned from my second trip to the Mariposa Spanish School and the fact that I returned tells you how much I enjoyed it. The school is charming and the mix of people there, although only 8 rooms, is wonderful. I am going back again this winter to continue to study and see more of Nicaragua.

There are many activities and planned excursions as well as volunteer opportunites. (You can be a teachers assistant at the local elementary school and see how absolutely precious and wholesome these ocal children are)

I would not hesitate to recommend the school for both you and daughter although you must like animals since Paulette the owner is quickly becoming know for her habitat for endangered species and animals in general. The Roosters take abit of getting used to in the night but to me only added to the ambiance. Check out her website and decide for yourself or Skype her.

http://mariposaspanishschool.com/

6. Re: Experiences at La Mariposa School?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, September 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Nicaragua