We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip To El Salvador!

Which San Salvador hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
First Trip To El Salvador!

Hi Everyone,

I am travelling to El Salvador for the first time for a week, leaving February 20th from Toronto, Ontario. I am travelling with my friend, and we are both in our mid 20's. We are staying at the Royal Decameron.

I have a few questions:

1) Tours. We are wanting to go off the resort and do a couple of tours to see the country. It appears that there are so many things to do, so I am wondering if anyone has any favourites or recommendations for us...we are adventure seekers, but also are going on this vacation to relax and get away from our hectic day to day lives.

2) If anyone would like to add about the safety of the country for 2 single females travelling that would be great. (i.e. going off the resort, etc.)

3) In particular to the resort, with a limited knowledge of Spanish, will we be able to fully take advantage of everything this resort has to offer? I have heard that it is very heavily Spanish focused which makes sense considering (however, this is just very different from my previous travel experiences in DR, Mexico, Cuba and Jamaica). I am excited to be able to use my limited Spanish!

We are very excited for this trip as it poses something new and different from what we are used too. If anyone has any recommendations or advice for first time travelers to ES and to the Decameron hotel we would love to hear from you!

Thanks!

39 replies to this topic
Cleveland, Ohio
1. Re: First Trip To El Salvador!

I wish you was leaving in march. Because I am an american girl and i am visiting my husband but traveling alone. I am so freaked but excited. Lol would be nice to have other americans travel the same time as me. Sorry i know you was looking for someone to answer your question. I hope you enjoy your trip please leave feed back when you return and let me know your experience. Thanks

San Salvador, El...
2. Re: First Trip To El Salvador!

Hi Amanda!

Based on great reviews here in TA and great experience of some friends you can also contact Cuscatlan Tours. They are highly recommended.

I hope this helps!

Cleveland, Ohio
reviews: 2
3. Re: First Trip To El Salvador!

I go each year on a medical mission and I would tell you to be cautious. When you are overly friendly and trusting you may find yourself in situations that make you uncofortable. That being said it is a wonderful country with beautiful, caring people. To the Gringa from Cleveland...I am from Cleveland too!! Do you like pupusas?

Cleveland, Ohio
4. Re: First Trip To El Salvador!

Omg i loved pupusas. They are my favorite :)... i am obsessed with salvadoran food. What about you?

5. Re: First Trip To El Salvador!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:45 pm, March 15, 2015

Burlington, Canada
reviews: 3
6. Re: First Trip To El Salvador!

Amanda your limited Spanish should fit in well since the hotel staff has limited English. Good luck.

Cesena, Italy
reviews: 911
7. Re: First Trip To El Salvador!

hi there, maybe it can help you out

this is our humble report of our days in el salvador backpacking:

born2travel.it/…20eng.html

london
reviews: 10
8. Re: First Trip To El Salvador!

Hi, I arrived here on my own from the UK on 13 Feb and am staying in the El Sunzal area. I have a hire car booked for 18 - 24 Feb to take daily trips to all of the most rated attractions. If you are that worried, you are both more than welcome to join me on any or all of the trips for a small contribution towards fuel costs and I will be more than happy to collect you from and return you to your hotel on each occasion with no obligation whatsoever to spend the trip in my company. The only proviso I must insist on is that we are all back to our respective accommodation before it gets dark (about 6.00pm) as there is no way I shall drive at night! The roads are unfamiliar to me and are very poorly lit and, being a Brit, I am used to driving on the right hand side of the road in a right hand drive car. I will be a little nervous driving during the day but driving at night, for me, is out of the question. If you would like to join me on any trip, please send a PM and we can exchange contact details. I realise that you may be a little wary of making contact as you don't know me from Adam but I am a 50 year old Londoner out here for a couple of weeks researching El Salvador with a view to giving up the rat-race back home and taking a permanent early retirement. As well as seeing the sights, I also booked the hire car to view a dozen or so properties currently for sale in ES. You can find out a

little more if you visit my blog at: joynski.blogspot.com If I don't hear from you, I hope you have a great time out here. Best wishes, Ian.

Cesena, Italy
reviews: 911
9. Re: First Trip To El Salvador!

hi ian, why u hired a car? it's so great and so folk to use their local transports!

Florida City...
reviews: 16
10. Re: First Trip To El Salvador!

It is nice of you Edwin of EC tours to give advice about travelling in your country. My husband and I are renting a car at the airport and we only have two weeks to explore your country. Can you give me some tips? I definitely want to hike some volcanoes, and stay by the ocean.

Reply to: First Trip To El Salvador!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted