We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Salvadore Questions

Which San Salvador hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kingston, Canada
reviews: 2
San Salvadore Questions

Hi,

Was thinking of booking a trip to San Salvador but have some questions. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Is there any towns outside of the resort that you can walk to?

2. Is it safe?

3. What is the currency used and the average cost of tours? How much money would be advisable to bring to the Country. (Only a 7 day trip)

My wife and I like leaving the resorts. Royal Decameran is the one we are thinking about.

Thanks,

Sonsonate, El...
reviews: 3
1. Re: San Salvadore Questions

Hola Caribbean-

Hope this helps with your inquiries-

1. The Decameron is quite isolated & there aren't any towns that are easily within walking distance. There is bike rental available that will get you around faster than walking. The closest place is Los Cobanos, a quiet little fishing village that offers snorkelling & diving but it's a very long walk away. However, if you walk down the beach to the right past the Decameron boundary, you will come across scattered little fishing villages & eateries.

2. Please read the post from Montanagrl & my reply concerning safety in El Salvador.

3. El Salvador has used US currency since 2001. Tours through the Decameron Explorer at the resort can be costly... $70.00 to $100.00 +++ per person on average...& they are very organized & restrictive with short time allowances to enjoy each destination & absorb the Salvadoran culture & landscape. The Decameron has, in the past, emphasized to guests at the orientation meeting, that travel outside the resort is unsafe & risky unless you venture out with them with tourist security on their organized tours. This is not true & you can safely & happily enjoy the services of a private tour guide that will allow you much more diversity, time & adventure for less money. I have recommended our very dear friend, Francisco Tobar, Thextreme Tour, on this forum several times before & to many visitors to El Salvador & they have loved the services he offers & the way he offers them! Excursions with Francisco are very personalized & relaxed while you enjoy his incredible knowledge & pride for his country, as well as his very contagious & entertaining personality! Please visit Francisco's Facebook page at www.facebook.com/thextremetour & you can contact him at thextremetour@yahoo.com for info. There are also other private tour companies to choose from that are mentioned on this forum.

If you are planning to stay at the Royal Decameron Salinitas, you can be assured that it is an incredible resort with exceptional rates & the only all inclusive in El Salvador. It is beautiful in every way as you can see by reading the reviews on Tripadvisor! You can spend as much or as little money as you want during your stay. Monetarily, as a guide, there is a cash fee for renting an in room safe (last know it was $2.50 per day), if you want an extra room key, there is a deposit (last known it was $45.00 refundable on departure), as well as tips for room cleaning staff, bartenders, restaurant servers, etc (who are very deserving of gratuities & shows of appreciation). Be sure & bring lots of $1.00 bills. Also, include enough for any tours you may enjoy & spending money for keepsakes, food, beverages, etc while touring. There are also 2 gift shops at the Decameron if you desire to browse/shop. The resort also offers internet time at the guest computer centre but I'm not familiar with the cost as we always used our own wifi laptop. It's safe to say the price is reasonable. The resort offers incredible beachside massages that are very reasonably priced & well worth the money!! There is also a $2.00 per person fee (to cover very high gas prices) for the short bus ride to Costa Azul beach club that is part of the Decameron. I highly recommend going at least once as it is well worth experiencing the exceptional beauty of a very natural Pacific beach.

If I can help with any of your concerns or questions, please contact me as I'm always happy to help guests to El Salvador. I offer advice & ideas based on our Canadian expat perspective & our many experiences from the past & present as we live every day in this spectacular culture & country.

Happy vacation planning! Salud! .........Cathy :D

2. Re: San Salvadore Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:28 am, October 01, 2013
montreal
reviews: 6
3. Re: San Salvadore Questions

hi Cathy

I already posted a question, but so far have not received any comeback. Perhaps you could help me - are the a la carte restaurants at Salinitas closed in with air conditioning?

Thanks in advance

Adel

Sonsonate, El...
4. Re: San Salvadore Questions

Hola Adel!

I'm kind of behind on Tripadvisor & hope to get caught up very soon. My daughter has been on vacation with us so she's had my undivided attention! :D

All the a la cartes at the Decameron are open air so you capture those amazing evening breezes. As a matter of fact, there is very little air conditioning at the resort. Most of the public washrooms, all the guest rooms & the disco have A/C but that's about it. Even the evening entertainment area is all outdoors.

Thanks for asking a great question. Cheers! .. Cathy :D

montreal
reviews: 6
5. Re: San Salvadore Questions

TY Cathy

I guess we'll have to pass on this hotel. We really found it disagreeable eating in the hot weather in Jamaica . I'm SOOOO disappointed.

Thanks for your input

Adel

Sonsonate, El...
6. Re: San Salvadore Questions

Oh, Adel, that's really too bad because the Decameron is beautiful. The weather is different in El Salvador compared to Jamaica & of course, depends on the time of year. We've been to Jamaica many times in the dry season & the rainy season & we always loved the consistency of the weather in El Salvador so we just kept returning. There is a breeze at all times except for sometimes at dusk when the winds are transitioning from the ocean to the mountains. The dry season here has very little humidity except for the odd time which is typical Mother Nature.

I can certainly understand you not being able to enjoy your meal because of the hot weather & I don't want you spend hard earned $ on your vacation & not enjoy every second of it! The a la cartes all have ceiling fans to keep the air fresh & moving however I would hate to see you regret your decision to visit the Decameron. There are a couple of a la cartes that are back further from the ocean which does limit the evening breezes somewhat. Follow your heart & I know you'll make the best decision to insure an amazing vacation.

I wish you all the very best & very happy travels! .... Cathy :D

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: San Salvadore Questions

We loved the fact that restaurant and buffet were open air. Usually in Cuba we freeze to death when we go for lunch or dinner. The buffet has many ceiling fan and it never felt hot. We were at Decameron Jan10-17 and the weather was perfect. There is nice breeze for most of the day and evening.

8. Re: San Salvadore Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 06, 2014