We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ukranian Folk Music/ Dance

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai
reviews: 49
Ukranian Folk Music/ Dance

Hi, I am currently in Kiev on business for while, arrived last week and already seen a bit of the ancient as well as Modern city and I must say that Kiev is such a pretty city! I have heard of Ukranian folk music to be very famous. Would you have idea where and when could I get a chance to see something of this genre in Kiev - any places where they have this kind of music/ dance? Thanks very much..

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 296
1. Re: Ukranian Folk Music/ Dance

Hi MerryTrouper :)

Welcome to Kyiv forum and many thanks for your nicest words! :)

Are you still in Kyiv on July 6-7, please? If so, don’t miss Kraina Mriy annual ethnic festival:

www.krainamriy.com/news.php?category=147

www.krainamriy.com/news.php?category=152

(please, use google-translate, if needed).

Other than that, I’m afraid you are mostly left to listening to the Ukrainian musicians singing in traditional Ukrainian restaurants. Summer is somewhat dead season when our artists are giving performances on a tour outside Kyiv/Ukraine.

But let me also check the playbill; perhaps I’ll find anything there.

Dubai
2. Re: Ukranian Folk Music/ Dance

Thanks Cora for your prompt response and most of all all your earlier posts, which I really found very helpful too.. I went to the website. I will be here on July 6th. Can you assist me with respect to where can I go to watch the same, and how to go I go about booking for the same? Thanks

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
3. Re: Ukranian Folk Music/ Dance

Thanks a lot for reading :)

The festival takes place in the so-called Spivoche Pole, located next to the WWII open air museum, further down the road from Kyiv Pechersk Lavra. Here I describved how to get there tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k473… but you will see crowds of people (many in vyshyvankas – embroidered shirts) heading there, so just follow the flow. It’s a very popular event, so get ready to the crowds!

They sell tickets through this web-site (in Ukrainian only) kiev.karabas.com/ru/--order/109030965.html But I just checked it and noticed they do not have any 2-days tickets left, only 1-day and for July 7. One day ticket is UAH 50.

Do you have any locals that could help you with either trying to book by phone (+ 380 44) 590 5555, or getting it on spot on Saturday? They start at mid-day, but it might make sense to come in advance to be able to get a ticket.

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
reviews: 100
4. Re: Ukranian Folk Music/ Dance

Cora, thank you so much for posting this! You are a wonderful resource.

Dubai
5. Re: Ukranian Folk Music/ Dance

Cora, one question.. There is a Gala Concert at The Opera house on 6 July at 7pm. i just saw it on Playbill on their site. Would this be a nice folk dance/ music experience? There is no explanation of the evening and hence the question. Thanks

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
6. Re: Ukranian Folk Music/ Dance

Hi Emilysmom,

Thank you so much! :)

It's always so encouranging to be appreciated ;))

Edited: 3:02 am, July 03, 2013
Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
7. Re: Ukranian Folk Music/ Dance

Hi MerryTrouper,

No, the Opera House does not have folk performances. That will be a classical music Gala night.

You can find more details about it in this earlier thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k647…

Specifically my posts ## 3 and 5.

Dubai
8. Re: Ukranian Folk Music/ Dance

Spasiba Cora :-) I will go to the Lavra n check out the performance on sat I have also been to d opera house n booked a ticket for d gala evening on 6th too...

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
9. Re: Ukranian Folk Music/ Dance

Wow, that will be a very busy day for you!

Make sure to get a good rest before :)

Edited: 10:32 pm, July 03, 2013
Regina Sask Canada
10. Re: Ukranian Folk Music/ Dance

Is there any folk music on this week in kiev