We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiev - Nightclub and Pubs Advice? (Sat 14 and Sun 15 Nov 09)

Which Kiev hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aussie in London
reviews: 1
Kiev - Nightclub and Pubs Advice? (Sat 14 and Sun 15 Nov 09)

I am a 33 year old aussie guy (now living in London) travelling to check out Kiev on the weekend of Sat 14 and Sun 15 November 2009.

Wanted to get some tips from anyone on what clubs to check out and bars whilst I am there (on Fri and Sat nights)? I have read some stuff on the web but it is hard to know if it applies to foreigners or not and I don't speak any Russian.

I will feel like a bit of a "scott no mates" as I am travelling alone, but am happy to check out what is happening out there...and down a couple of beers here and there.

Staying at the Rus Hotel which is pretty central which should be easy to get to the good places :)

Any tips would be appreciated

Cheers James.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 296
1. Re: Kiev - Nightclub and Pubs Advice? (Sat 14 and Sun 15 Nov 09)

Hi James and welcome to Kyiv!

Please, check Top questions about Kyiv in the upper right corner of this page.

There are two sections where you can find most recent discussions on pubs, clubs and nightlife in Kyiv. These are “Eating Out” and “Nightlife and Gambling”. There were many nice places mentioned that are really worth checking out in Kyiv.

In particular, "Beer places" were discussed here (posts 16, 17) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294474-i3663-k275…

You’ll be fine traveling alone here, don’t worry about it!

London, United...
2. Re: Kiev - Nightclub and Pubs Advice? (Sat 14 and Sun 15 Nov 09)

Hi there,

Loathe as I am to give advice to an Aussie after the drumming you just gave us in the cricket (!), I'll second Cora's advice to read the posts she mentions - saves us writing it out again!

However, a good tip would be to head to the Golden Gate Irish Pub on a Saturday night as most of my friends spend their entire weekends in there (with a load of Aussies and Kiwis amongst them) so sit at the bar, drinking some Lvivski or Tuborg and you'll get chatting to someone I'm sure.

There aren't any er, 'professional women' in there either as Robin the manager doesn't put up with them so you can be fairly sure anyone you get talking to won't have other motives (though common sense applies). The same CANNOT be said about the Beer House at Arena - though the chilled glasses and 'Extra' beer is worth a stop.

If there's any rugby on, either watch it at the GG or head to O'Briens. Again, you'll meet a good crowd though personally I prefer the Golden Gate.

Anything you're particularly interested in, or just looking to get a general feel for the place?

The Rus is a good option, it's not high quality by Australian/UK standards but it's absolutely fine for a couple of nights.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
3. Re: Kiev - Nightclub and Pubs Advice? (Sat 14 and Sun 15 Nov 09)

> Loathe as I am to give advice to an Aussie after the drumming you just gave us in the cricket

LOL PiecesOf8! What an exemplary altruism and love for mankind! :)

Aussie in London
reviews: 1
4. Re: Kiev - Nightclub and Pubs Advice? (Sat 14 and Sun 15 Nov 09)

The last time I trusted a kiwi I ended up at the Blue Oyster bar wearing a pink shirt...just jokes. I play rugby with a bunch of kiwis here so used to the stick now.

And don't mention the cricket...to be fair we were about 2/6 so the game didn't start well for us...and being an aussie in London after losing the ashes I am used to the jokes :)

Sounds good to me, will watch some live sport, sit at the bar and get chatting on the saturday late arvo/evening and then Check out Arena later on in the night.

This is a leisure trip keen to do the shooting activities on the Sunday and day trip to Chernobyl on the Monday.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
5. Re: Kiev - Nightclub and Pubs Advice? (Sat 14 and Sun 15 Nov 09)

James, in this case you might also care to read Chornobyl Section among the Top Questions for some tips regarding this visit.

Been there myself recently and can help if you have any questions.

Kiev
6. Re: Kiev - Nightclub and Pubs Advice? (Sat 14 and Sun 15 Nov 09)

Hi, James!

If I were You, I would also feel like a fish out of water travelling alone, but...this will definetely be an adventure for You. According nightlife - Kyiv has plenty of good places. Personally I like in Kyiv Pa Ti Pa night club (central location+ good music). In 2005 it was the best night club in Kyiv. Also I reccommend You to visit Tsar' project (also central location, not far from Dynamo stadium). There a lot of cozy pubs in center which You definitely like: O'Briens pub (Mykhailyvs'ka street), Golden Gate (metro Station "Golden Gate"). In Golden Gate often live music can be heard! I wish You good time in Kyiv!

7. Re: Kiev - Nightclub and Pubs Advice? (Sat 14 and Sun 15 Nov 09)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 06, 2010