We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carpathians, etc. etc,

Which Ukraine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Carpathians, etc. etc,

I have a few questions about trip planning. Have wanted to go to Ukraine for a long time mostly Carpathians, also Lviv, Kiev, and Odessa. I will have only 2 weeks unfortunately. Thinking about going in Sept. or Oct. going from either Budapest to Uzhgorod or Poland to Lviv. MAY fly into Kiev. If I came to Uzhgorod I thought about going by bus to Rahkiv then up to Kolomyya and I-F then to Lviv and Kiev or should I go from Uzhgorod to Lviv and back down to mountains and then overnight train to Kiev? I am also having trouble budgeting time in mountains. I would like to stay at least 3 or 4 nights in the region doing some basic hiking and also I am very interested in the wooden churches. I am willing to cut some things which I assumed would happen that I only have 2 weeks. Is 2 days in Kiev and Lviv enough? Thank you very much. Oh and I will be by myself most likely (female), on a budget but I have no problem spending money if I need to on say, cabs. I can read cyrillic but not speak Uk. too well, only basic phrases.

Kolomyia, Ukraine
reviews: 1
1. Re: Carpathians, etc. etc,

Hi Dani Z and welcome to Ukraine forum.

Both options look good to me.

If you are planning to go from Lviv to Rakhiv (as per option #2) it will be a bit more exhausting but you can take train to Mukacheve and then switch to "marshrutka" to get to Rakhiv.

As for Your main point of interest - wooden churches - from Rakhiv -go to Vorokhta (there are some great examples there - whole town is a fusion of hutzul and austrian architectural styles) - Verkhovyna - (and neighboring Kryvorivnia especially)stay here overnight. Then get to Kolomiya via Kosiv.

We can help you around Kolomyya and with organizing interesting hiking.

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 296
2. Re: Carpathians, etc. etc,

Hi Dani Z and welcome to the forum from me, too!

Unless you really want to cut city getaways short, you might feel too rushed in Kyiv and Lviv in two days. And your timing seems to be quite fine for having three days in each. Odessa in autumn can be done in two days, IMO. And this leaves you six days in the Trans-/Carpathians that seem to be in your focus.

Of course, the precise calculation will depend on the transportation you choose, so this is just a general guidance.

I agree with Hugovik that both options are fine and flying to Kyiv could be okay, too, as you can easily get anywhere from here. So better see what's more convenient for you to plan and arrange.

If you are interested in wooden churches, I would dearly recommend you this web-site: http://derev.org.ua/index_e.html Sadly, its English version is a bit limited, so you may probably want to also use google-translate and browse through Ukrainian version.

By the way, last May I made a road trip around Carpathians and Transcarpathians, substantial part of which was dedicated to seeing the wooden churches in the areas :)

Sadly, out of all that I visited, I only had time to list and review a couple of wooden churches in Yaremche:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1816350-d31…

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1816350-d31…

And from my personal preferences, apart from the wooden churches mentioned by Hugovik, I’d also recommend you to try seeing the «golden quarter» of Transcarpathian wooden churches in the villages of

Sokyrnytsya www.derev.org.ua/zakarp/sokyrnytsia.htm

Krajnykove http://www.derev.org.ua/zakarp/krajnykove.htm

Danylove http://www.derev.org.ua/zakarp/danylove.htm

Oleksandrivka www.derev.org.ua/zakarp/olexandrivka.htm

They are all very close to the town of Khust that you can reach by bus from Uzhhorod http://tinyurl.com/avbhxpt (time-table is tentative and needs to be verified).

So (optionally) you could consider making a stopover in Khust (perhaps with an overnight stay), see the nearby wooden churches then proceed to Kolomyya by bus.

Edited: 11:46 am, February 17, 2013
Orlando, Florida
3. Re: Carpathians, etc. etc,

Thank you both very much for your advise. Will the weather be pleasant in Sept or October??

Kyiv
Destination Expert
for Kiev, Ukraine
reviews: 296
4. Re: Carpathians, etc. etc,

It will be nice if you are lucky to catch the Indian summer in Ukraine. Otherwise showers are quite possible.

But I'm afraid I can't guarantee anything so far ahead - have no connections with weather Gods :)

Kolomyia, Ukraine
reviews: 1
5. Re: Carpathians, etc. etc,

It's usually rainy here in the Carpathians during first week of September and then Indian summer comes at the end of September-beginning of October, but it is really unpredictable during last few years.

6. Re: Carpathians, etc. etc,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 21, 2014