We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in the Ukraine

Stockholm
Driving in the Ukraine

I know this topic has been covered before, but maybe it is time for an update for the summer season.

We are planning a road trip from Stockholm to Poltava this summer, then heading back through Poland and Germany. We will drive a Swedish registered car, we don't speak Ukrainian or Russian and we have never been to the Ukraine before. Does this sound like a really bad idea or do you think we can handle it?

Is there anything in particular we should keep in mind when driving in the Ukraine? Is it possible to drive from Poltava to Poland in one day?

Belfast, United...
reviews: 8
1. Re: Driving in the Ukraine

Leave your car at home!!! Ukrainians are crazy drivers, and the roads are very bad outside the main cities!! Also, unless you do a crash course on the Cyrilliuc alphabet!! you will not be able to read the Road signs!!!

UK
2. Re: Driving in the Ukraine

To be honest I do tend to agree with Niamhemer. I have travelled extensively around Ukraine by car with Ukrainian friends and even with satelite navigation we have got horrendously lost at times and they are Ukrainians who can read the roadside signs. The Police also love their "speed traps" and they can be found everywhere. They do not speak English in rural areas so a nightmare scenario if you are pulled over. If you do decide to drive around Ukraine then I wish you the very best of luck but I personally would leave my car somewhere like Lviv ot the nearest border crossing where you plan to enter the country and then proceed by train.

Bay Saint Louis...
reviews: 8
3. Re: Driving in the Ukraine

I agree with the 2-previous posts. Leave your car at the border. You can get someone to drive you around the country for cheap. If you do decide to drive, at least purchase an electronic translator. It's going to cost you about $500 but it's worth it.

4. Re: Driving in the Ukraine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, October 19, 2009