We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Belgrade for Christmas Dec 20-30th, what is it like?

Which Belgrade hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
denver
reviews: 6
In Belgrade for Christmas Dec 20-30th, what is it like?

Hi,

we will be in Belgrade for our Christmas break Dec 20-30, 2006. What is Belgrade like during this time, weather, events, etc?

Can anyone share? We are staying downtown. Any special Christmas oriented exhibits not to miss or childrens events?

Are there indoor swimming pools?

Thanks!

Belgrade
1. Re: In Belgrade for Christmas Dec 20-30th, what is it like?

Hey,

It's usually pretty lively here for Christmas. The weather is usually coldish, but this year it's probably going to be balmy, since the temperatures still vary between 10 and 20 C. A lot of events are organized in the weeks before and after New Year's Eve (check http://www.tob.co.yu, http://www.beograd.org.yu and http://www.novagodina.net (not much there now, but it should be updated next week)). Some very good exibitions (Chinese Imperial Bronzes, some ethnic art stuff and many, many other), but nothing Christmas oriented, I'm affraid. As far as children events go, there are always the Kids' New Year celebrations. The official programme hasn't been posted yet, but there is usually an outdoor skating rink for kids on one of Belgrade's central squares, shows, concerts for kids etc. (again, it will be posted on http://www.novagodina.net).

There are several indoor swimming pools, the largest probably being Tasmajdan, but also 25. Maj, Vracar and several others (phone numbers and addresses are at www.tob.co.yu site).

If you need any other info, I'll be happy to help :)

denver
2. Re: In Belgrade for Christmas Dec 20-30th, what is it like?

thank you for giving me that info!!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
reviews: 1
3. Re: In Belgrade for Christmas Dec 20-30th, what is it like?

Be careful regarding the swimming pools, I believe most of them are in a state of poor repair and the water is too cold. I certainly would not get your kids hopes up on that score. A couple of the big hotels have pools, but for residents.

We tried several on previous visits and gave up, shortage of money/investment appears to be the reason. It's a pity and maybe things will change for the better soon.

Stoofer

Belgrade
4. Re: In Belgrade for Christmas Dec 20-30th, what is it like?

Well, Tasmajdan Sport Centre (http://www.tasmajdan.co.yu/plivaliste.htm) was renovated extensively in the past few years (some major water polo championships were held there this last few years, including the European Championship this summer), so it should be in a good shape. I don't know about the rest of them, though, haven't been to the other water sport centres in years

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
5. Re: In Belgrade for Christmas Dec 20-30th, what is it like?

Hi Poenk

Maybe some time back that was true but it became very poor.

It's true they are going to hold championships this forthcoming June, when I was in Beograd in September it was closed for renovations and had been for some time.

So maybe it's ready now or very soon, maybe not.

The other possibilty is one I know but not sure of the name, I know Beograd very well but not the language so get addresses mixed up LOL . Maybe you know -

- Banica? It's near to the big hospital on other side of the road, Dedinja area- in August it was closed for renovations, maybe that one is ready? Hope so for Opinco. :-)

Last three years I tried to take my family swimming, only option

without freezing was Ada on a hot day. Fingers crossed next summer we can try again.

Regards, Stoofer

Belgrade
6. Re: In Belgrade for Christmas Dec 20-30th, what is it like?

Hi Stooferuk,

I hope the lack of swimming pools didn't spoil your visits. How did you like it here, aside from that?

As for Tasmajdan, the outside Olympic pool was renovated and the championship was held this summer, but I guess the indoor pool is still closed. The last time I was there was in primary school, some 10 years ago, and if memory serves me, it really needed work. Half of the sport centres in Belgrade are closed for renovation these days (as well as half of the town itself :P). Which is a good thing :)

The other swimming pool you mentioned is Banjica, but I don't know if it's open. Opinco, you should be able to find phone numbers for all of the sport centres on one of the sites I mentioned, so try calling them and check. What hotel are you staying at, by the way?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
7. Re: In Belgrade for Christmas Dec 20-30th, what is it like?

Hi Poenk

Yes, Banjica was the one, I was there in September also. That could possibly be ready, it's a good site too with other sporting activities going on + a few little cafes. Worth checking out IMO even if no swimming.

How do I like it in Beograd?

How can I describe??? I have travelled at lot and Beograd is

my favorite city anywhere, especially in the summer where you can use Ada and the river.

I must admit though, that I am biased. My wifes family live there and we visit often and have done so for 20 years. I really hope it will be my future home for 6 months a year - it already feels like home and I miss it right now sitting here in England.

I love the Serbs, I love their culture. How I wish the rest of Europe would wake up! :-(

Next time you see a Englishman grinning from ear to ear, eating, drinking, having fun with the locals and speaking terrible serbski - It's probably me! LOL

Come over and say stravo. :-)

Regards from England

Stoofer

denver
8. Re: In Belgrade for Christmas Dec 20-30th, what is it like?

Well, I had the hardest time picking a hotel with two small children for 2 weeks. There were either acceptable hotels like the western ones in Novi side, but really expensive for such a long stay, or there

more affordable ones that got pretty sketchy reviews, especially with two small children and no kitchen. I finally rented an apartment from a service online for about the same price as a reasonably priced hotel-full kitchen, two bedrooms, living room and christmas tree near hotel Moskva. I could not beat the deal so I went with that. I have some friends I am meeting there so in our spare time I will ask if there is an indoor pool that is acceptable for children. If not, that is OK, we will check out the skating park you mentioned and such.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
9. Re: In Belgrade for Christmas Dec 20-30th, what is it like?

Hi Opinco

I think you've chosen the best location.

New Belgrade has some swanky hotels with pools but they are very expensive.

'Old' Belgrade far prefferable IMO.

Stoofer.

Belgrade
10. Re: In Belgrade for Christmas Dec 20-30th, what is it like?

It's nice you got a place in the "old" part of the town, it has much more soul to it. I hope you'll have a good time :) Write a few lines here when you get back, I'd like to hear how you liked it...

Stoofer, I'm glad you like it here. Spread the joy among other Englishmen, will you? And if you're ever walking on Kalemegdan on a sunny day and you see some archers down on the lower town fileds, give a wave, 'cause I'll be one of the few girls among them :)